Whether you make your gnocchi from scratch, buy your gnocchi prepackaged, or use a gluten free variety, it is always absolutely delicious. This recipe is easy, hearty and packed with summer flavors. Vegan pesto is amazing on grilled vegetables, and it is also amazing on gnocchi. When vegan pesto, grilled vegetables and gnocchi come together, it’s summer comfort food at it’s best!
I used eggplant, zucchini and cherry tomatoes, because they all are commonly featured in Italian cuisine and my garden was exploding with them. If you want to get experimental and use other vegetables, feel free to do so. Vegan pesto seems to make any grilled vegetable taste even better. Just make sure to adjust grill time (some veggies cook faster than others) and keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn.
For the vegan pesto, you can use this recipe, use your favorite recipe, or buy prepackaged vegan pesto. Regardless of which sauce you decide to use, you likely will need ~1 cup of it to get the job done. Some prepackaged vegan pesto sauces can have very strong flavor, so you may be able to get away with less than a cup. Just add a bit, mix it in, taste it, and see if it needs more.
Gnocchi with Pesto and Grilled Eggplant, Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes
1 cup vegan pesto (see note above)
2 cups eggplant, cubed
2 cups zucchini, cubed
1 cup whole cherry tomatoes
Vegan parmesan, to top – optional (I used Good Planet Parmesan)
- 1. In a large mixing bowl, toss eggplant, zucchini and cherry tomatoes in 1/2 cup vegan pesto until well-coated. Line a large, grill-proof sheet pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Spoon the vegetables across the foil in a single layer. Reserve the mixing bowl to use later.
2. Grill vegetables at 400º F for ~5 minutes. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn. Flip. Grill for ~3 more minutes. Once cooked through and possessing a char that you like, remove them from the grill.
3. Bring a very large pot of water to a boil. Add the gnocchi, and boil for ~3 minutes or until all the gnocchi float to the top. Drain off the water, and add the gnocchi to the mixing bowl.
4. Add the remaining pesto to the mixing bowl. Stir to coat the gnocchi. Add in the grilled vegetables.
5. Top with vegan parmesan (optional). Serve immediately.