This super easy vegan quesadilla recipe brings grilling and soy curls together. BBQ sauce, soy curls, green peppers, red pepper, red onion and a healthy amount of gooey vegan cheese sandwiched between two flour tortillas grilled to perfection. Serve it with vegan classic coleslaw. It tastes like an American cookout in a quesadilla. So good!
I opted for a bottled barbecue sauce to save on time–using Kinder’s Mild BBQ Sauce. I like that it doesn’t use corn syrup. If you like making your sauces from scratch or they do not sell barbecue sauce where you live, you can always make your own barbecue sauce from scratch.
Soy curls do not have any fat in them. On the grill, they require some oil to stay moist and crisp up. I do not recommend skipping the oil. You could, but they might not be as good. If you can’t find soy curls where you are, use your favorite vegan meat alternative, like Gardein Meatless Chick’n Strips.
Finally, if you don’t have access to a grill, you can throw the lined sheet pan in the oven, instead. Bake the soy curls-pepper mixture at 400º F for 10-15 minutes. Then, instead of using the grill to assemble the quesadilla and cook it, use a skillet on the stove.
Grilling quesadillas takes a tiny bit of technique. I like doing it on a grill-proof sheet pan lined with non-stick aluminum foil. I find if I don’t do that, my flour tortillas can get stuck on the grill. I also like to periodically shove the spatula under the tortilla on the grill, and then, rotate the tortilla about 45 degrees before placing it down again. I find this allows the tortilla to get toasted without completely burning it.
This recipe makes enough for 4 quesadillas. As a variation, serve the BBQ Soy Curls on a taco and top with vegan classic coleslaw.
Grilled Barbecue Soy Curl Quesadillas
2 cups hydrated soy curls, squeezed to release as much water as possible
2 cups sliced red onions
2 cups sliced green peppers
2 cups sliced red peppers
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
3/4 cup barbecue sauce (see note above)
2 Tbsp olive oil
Shredded vegan cheese (I used 1 1/2 cups of Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzerella for 4 quesadillas, but use as much as you like)
8 flour tortillas
1. In a large mixing bowl, add soy curls, red onion, green pepper, red pepper, garlic, nutritional yeast, 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and the olive oil. Mix thoroughly.
2. Line a large, grill-proof sheet pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Spread the soy curls mixture over it in a single layer.
3. Grill at 400º F for 7-10 minutes–checking it after 5 minutes have passed and flipping the soy curls/vegetables. Remove the sheet pan from the grill.
4. Dump the soy curls and vegetables back into the mixing bowl. Drizzle the soy curls and vegetables with the remaining 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce and mix up.
5. Line the sheet pan with a new piece of non-stick aluminum foil. Return the sheet pan to the grill. Heat the grill to 300º F.
6. Place two tortillas on top of it. Let them sit on the foil for about 30 seconds. Then put the spatula under one of the tortillas, rotate the tortilla about 45º and place it down again. Repeat this with the second tortilla. Rotating the tortillas on the grill will keep them from burning.
7. Top one tortilla with a layer of vegan cheese. Then, spoon some of the grilled soy curls mixture over the vegan cheese. Then, top with some more vegan cheese. Once again, put your spatula under one of the tortillas, rotate it 45º, and place it down again. Repeat with the second tortilla. Let the tortillas cook with the grill open for another 20-30 seconds.
8. Place the tortilla with nothing on it on top of the soy curls (see above photo). Once again, shove the spatula under the bottom tortilla, rotate the tortilla 45º, and then, place back on the grill. Allow to grill for another 20-30 seconds.
9. Smash the top tortilla down with the back of the spatula. Get that melty vegan cheese to stick to it. Then, shove your spatula back under the bottom tortilla, and rotate it 45º again. Let it cook for another 20-30 seconds.
10. Remove the quesadilla from the grill. Place on a chopping board or plate, and slice into 4 pieces. Serve immediately with vegan classic coleslaw on the side.
Get Email Updates!
Enter your email address to subscribe to UVK. Then, visit your inbox, find the UVK email and confirm your subscription.