The best part of this herby asparagus farro salad is the texture! It’s crisp from the lightly steamed asparagus and chewy from the farro. Together, it’s very satisfying and filling. Not to mention, the flavors work so well!
This vegan asparagus salad recipe works great as an everyday or Easter side dish. It also works well for lunch. If you’re planning to pack it for lunch, keep the fresh basil on the side and add it right before eating. Fresh basil can get a little less appealing with time, but the rest of the salad holds up very well.
Asparagus Salad with Walnuts, Farro and Lemon Vinaigrette
½ cup farro
2 cups fake chicken broth
¼ cup shallots, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
¼ cup olive oil
4 cups fresh asparagus, sliced on a bias into bite-size pieces
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
½ tsp dijon mustard
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp fresh basil, torn into pieces
1 Tbsp walnuts, finely chopped
1. In a medium saucepan, add the farro and the broth. Cover, bring to a boil, and then lower to a simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the farro is soft enough to enjoy eating. Drain off any excess broth, and then, set aside allowing it to cool.
2. In a small skillet, add the shallot, garlic and olive oil. When it just begins to sizzle, stir around the shallot and garlic for about 30 seconds. Then, remove the skillet from heat, and set aside allowing it to cool.
3. Fill a large pot with 1 inch of water. Lower a steamer basket into it, and cover with a lid. Bring the water to a boil. Then, add the asparagus to the steamer basket and steam for 3 minutes. Remove the basket, and immediately rinse the asparagus with cold water for 30 seconds.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the cooled olive oil with the shallots and garlic. Then, add the lemon juice, parsley, dijon, and salt. Whisk together.
5. Add the farro, asparagus, walnuts and fresh basil to the mixing bowl. Stir together, and taste. Adjust seasonings, if needed (more salt? more lemon juice?). Serve.