This vegan wild rice mushroom soup recipe is hearty, flavorful, and healthy. I love how sherry vinegar makes a good mushroom soup, an extraordinary mushroom soup. If you don’t have any on hand, you can also substitute red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar. It won’t be exactly the same, but it will add complexity to the soup’s flavor.
For this recipe, I used a dried wild mushroom blend that included shiitakes, morels, oyster mushrooms, porcini mushrooms, and chanterelles. But I have also used other blends other times, and it has worked out just great.
Whenever you use dried mushrooms, it’s important to rinse them off in a colander, because they can have sand and gritty material stuck to them. Get that sand outta there!
I love eating this vegan mushroom wild rice soup recipe with a hearty, whole grain piece of bread on the side, but you can also keep it gluten free with a side salad or gluten free bread.
This recipe serves 4.
Check out additional delicious UVK recipes, like Vegan Spinach Mushroom Wild Rice Casserole, French Onion Wild Mushroom Soup, Vegan Wild Rice Stuffing with Cranberries, Apples and Walnuts, 26 Great Vegan Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and more.
Wild Rice Mushroom Soup
1 ounce package of dried wild mushrooms, rinsed
2 cups boiling water
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp dry rubbed sage
1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried rosemary
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce (OR gluten free tamari)
4 ounce package of wild rice (OR ¾ cup wild rice)
3 cups broth (fake chicken or vegetable)
¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1 Tbsp sherry vinegar (see note above)
Salt, to taste
1. Rinse the wild mushrooms removing any sand or gritty material, then add them to a mixing bowl. Pour the boiling water over them, cover them with a plate, and allow them to soak for 20 minutes (or according to the directions on the package).
2. Pour the soaking liquid through a coffee filter (or a sieve with a paper towel in the bottom) into another bowl. Then, rinse off the mushrooms. Reserve the filtered soaking liquid and rinsed mushrooms for later use in the wild rice soup recipe.
3. In a large, heavy pot or dutch oven, add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, olive oil and a dash of salt. Sauté for ~7 minutes over medium heat or until the carrots are softened.
4. Add sage, thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, and soy sauce. Saute for another minute or two over low heat.
5. Add the wild rice, the filtered soaking liquid from the wild mushrooms, the wild mushrooms, and the broth to the soup pot. Bring to a boil, then, turn down to low. Cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes.
6. At the end of simmering, stir in sherry vinegar and parsley. Serve.