Have you ever tried to make pumpkin soup with pumpkin puree? Maybe you’ve also discovered that canned pumpkin puree is pretty bland. If you want it to really shine in a soup, it requires the right spices, a good bouillon or stock, and pairing it with a roasted vegetable to bring out the best in it.
And so, UVK brings you this delicious, easy vegan pumpkin soup recipe. It uses fresh ginger, canned pumpkin, coconut milk, and cinnamon-maple roasted sweet potatoes. It is warming, savory and comforting. And it’s the perfect vegan soup for fall or Thanksgiving.
I hope you love it!
Vegan Pumpkin Soup
2½ cups peeled sweet potatoes diced into 1 inch cubes
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp canola oil
1 Tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1½ cups chopped onions
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger root
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
¼ tsp chipotle powder
1½ fake chicken bouillon cubes (I used Edward & Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon Cubes)
½ cup water
13.5 ounce can of lite coconut milk
15 ounce can of pumpkin puree
Roasted pepitas (or pumpkin seeds without a hull), to top – optional
1. Preheat the oven to 400º F. Line a sheet pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add cubed sweet potatoes, 2 Tbsp canola oil, maple syrup and ground cinnamon. Stir around until the sweet potatoes are well coated.
3. Spread the the entire contents of the mixing bowl in a single layer across the lined sheet pan.
4. Place the sheet pan in the oven. Roast at 400º F for 10 minutes. Then, remove from the oven, flip and return to roast for another 10-15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft and caramelized. Remove from the oven, and set aside.
5. In a large pot or dutch oven, add 2 tsp canola oil, the onions and a dash of salt. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until soft and somewhat transparent. Then, add the fresh ginger, garlic cloves and chipotle powder. Stir around for another 2 minutes.
6. Add all the ingredients together in a blender (the onion mixture, roasted sweet potatoes, bouillon cubes, water, lite coconut milk, and pumpkin puree). Blend until completely smooth.
7. Return the soup to the pot. Stir over low heat until warm enough to enjoy eating. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed (salt?). Serve.