Have you ever tried to make a recipe for vegan pumpkin soup with canned pumpkin puree? Maybe you’ve also discovered that it’s pretty bland. If you want the canned pumpkin to really shine in a soup, it requires the right spices, a good bouillon or stock, and pairing it with a roasted vegetable to bring out the best in it.
And so, UVK brings you this delicious, easy vegan pumpkin soup recipe that uses fresh ginger, canned pumpkin, coconut milk, and cinnamon-maple roasted sweet potatoes. It is warming, savory and comforting. And it’s the perfect pumpkin soup for fall or Thanksgiving. It makes ~4 servings.
Vegan Pumpkin Soup
2½ cups peeled sweet potatoes diced into 1 inch cubes
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp canola oil
1 Tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1½ cups chopped onions
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger root
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
¼ tsp chipotle powder
1½ fake chicken bouillon cubes (I used Edward & Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon Cubes)
½ cup water
13.5 ounce can of lite coconut milk
15 ounce can of pumpkin puree
Roasted pepitas (or pumpkin seeds without a hull), to top – optional
1. First, you’ll roast the sweet potatoes for the pumpkin soup. Preheat the oven to 400º F. Line a sheet pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the sweet potatoes, 2 Tbsp canola oil, maple syrup and cinnamon. Stir around until the sweet potatoes are coated.
3. Spread the entire contents of the mixing bowl in a single layer across the lined sheet pan.
4. Roast at 400º F for 10 minutes. Then, remove from the sheet pan, flip the sweet potatoes, and return to roast for another 10-15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft and caramelized. Remove from the oven, and set aside.
5. Next, sauté the aromatics for the vegan pumpkin soup. In a large pot, add 2 tsp canola oil, the onions and a dash of salt. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until soft and transparent. Then, add the ginger, garlic cloves and chipotle powder. Stir around for another 2 minutes.
6. Add all the pumpkin soup ingredients together in a blender (the onion mixture, roasted sweet potatoes, bouillon cubes, water, lite coconut milk, and pumpkin puree). Blend until smooth.
7. Pour the contents of the blender to the pot. Warm over low heat. Taste the vegan pumpkin soup and adjust seasonings, if needed (salt?). Serve.