This refreshing Asian kale slaw recipe works well as a side dish, lunch salad, or light dinner. It’s healthy, easy to make, and tastes great.
A few notes…
- ・To toast raw sliced almonds, add them to a dry skillet over medium heat. Move them around with a spatula the entire time to keep them from burning. You can smell them, they are done!
- ・You can totally use frozen shelled edamame for this recipe. Just give them ~10 minutes to thaw out, and test to make sure they aren’t still frozen before serving.
- ・Eating this vegan kale slaw as a packed lunch? Keep the dressing separate from the salad. Mix together right before eating it.
Asian Kale Slaw with Orange Sesame Dressing
Orange Sesame Dressing:
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
⅓ cup orange juice
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
½ tsp turbinado sugar
Pinch of garlic powder
¾ cup toasted sliced almonds (see note above)
½ cup julienned carrots
½ cup shredded green cabbage
1 cup shredded kale
¼ cup shredded red cabbage
½ cup sliced red pepper
1 cup shelled edamame
1. Add everything listed under “Orange Sesame Dressing” to a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed (sugar? vinegar?).
2. Then, add everything listed under “Slaw” to the mixing bowl, as well. Mix until the slaw is well combined with the dressing. Taste, and adjust seasonings, if needed (more garlic powder? salt?). Serve.