This easy vegan red cabbage and watermelon radish slaw recipe is acidic, sweet and slightly bitter in a pleasing way. It’s a delightful salad of very thinly sliced apples, watermelon radishes, red cabbage, carrots and scallions with a classic coleslaw dressing with celery seed and apple cider vinegar.
This recipe serves 4. Watermelon radishes are in peak season from autumn to spring; however, this dish would work well for any time of year. Enjoy as a side dish!
- ・Not only is agave vegan, but it also integrates quickly into dressings. It’s about 1.5 times sweeter than regular table sugar, so you also don’t have to use as much of it.
- ・Once assembled, this watermelon radish salad is best served right away. The veggies and the apples lose some of their crunch over time.
Check out more UVK recipes, like Watermelon Salsa, Edamame Kale Slaw with Orange Sesame Dressing, Green Bean and Radish Salad, Radish Salad with Fresh Dill and Scallions, or Ginger Miso Slaw. And please enjoy this tasty watermelon radish slaw recipe 💚
Watermelon Radish Slaw
¼ cup olive oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp agave
½ tsp celery seed
½ tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
2 medium watermelon radishes, thinly sliced and then quartered
1 medium apple, thinly sliced (I used a Honeycrisp)
2½ cups shredded red cabbage
½ cup shredded carrots
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, agave, celery seed, salt and black pepper. Whisk together, and taste. Adjust flavors, if necessary (More agave? more apple cider vinegar? more salt?).
2. Toss the watermelon radish and apples in the slaw dressing.
3. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir together, and taste. Adjust flavors, if needed. Serve immediately.