Khorake Loobia Sabz (Persian Green Bean Stew) is a traditional dish from Iran, which usually involves beef, green beans, carrots, potatoes, onions, turmeric and tomato paste. This Persian-inspired recipe incorporates many of traditional elements to produce a delicious, slow cooker vegan (or vegetarian) green bean stew.
Make sure to only use canned kidney beans in this recipe. Using dried kidney beans in a slow cooker can lead to food poisoning. Learn more about it here.
A few things…
- ・You can purchase tart golden prunes at an international grocer or buy them online.
- ・The acidity in this vegan green bean stew recipe comes from tart golden prunes. Before adding them to the slow cooker, soak them in hot water, and remove the pits.
- ・ Can’t find tart golden prunes? A generous splash of lemon juice at the end of cooking will do. It’s not exactly the same, but still good.
- ・The young jackfruit is optional. It enhances the texture of the stew but does not contribute to the flavor. As a variation, you could also add seitan.
I hope you enjoy this Persian-inspired vegan (or vegetarian) green bean stew. And don’t miss more UVK recipes, like Vegan Slow Cooker Stewed Green Beans and Tomatoes, Vegan Slow Cooker Jackfruit Porcini Ragu, Vegan Slow Cooker Seitan and Green Pea Stew and more.
Slow Cooker Persian-Style Green Bean Stew
1 large onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 ½ tsp ground turmeric
6 ounce can of tomato paste
1 ½ cups broth (fake chicken or vegetable)
4 cups fresh green beans, ends removed
2 cups carrots thickly sliced on a bias
10 small whole red potatoes (the smaller the better!)
15.5 ounce can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed (use canned kidney beans only – see note above)
12 tart golden prunes, pits removed (see notes above) (OR 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice)
14 ounce can of young jackfruit, drained and shredded – optional (see note above)
Salt, to taste
1. First, you’ll prepare the onions for the vegan green bean stew. In a large, heavy pot or dutch oven, add onions, olive oil and turmeric. Sauté for 10-15 minutes over low heat or until onions are very soft and glistening.
2. Add tomato paste and broth to the onions, and simmer for 5 minutes over low heat. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed (salt?).
3. Add everything listed in the green bean stew recipe to the slow cooker, including the onion-turmeric sauce. If using tart golden prunes, remove the pits before adding. Stir everything together, cover with the lid, and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours. Remove the lid, taste and adjust seasonings, if needed. Serve with pita on the side.