Upon trying these green beans, my husband announced that this is the only way he wants to eat them from now on. This slow cooker vegan (or vegetarian) green beans recipe takes inspiration from the U.S.’s Southern-style green beans and tomatoes. Usually, meat is used to add complexity and flavor to this popular side dish, but I wanted to see if I could engineer some flavor vegan-style. These are not intended to be an exact replica of the stewed green beans with tomatoes recipe that many cherish, but they are very, very tasty.
- ・While you can swap in frozen green beans, I like fresh green beans better.
- ・Not gluten free? Turn this into a main dish by adding a cup or two of seitan (store bought or homemade seitan) into the slow cooker before securing the lid for the long simmer.
Whether you add seitan or not, this dish is everything I love about American comfort food—flavorful, delicious and so satisfying.
I hope you enjoy this savory vegan recipe with green beans! And check out more delicious UVK recipes like Slow Cooker Vegan Coconut Collard Greens, Vegan Green Bean Soup, Vegan Green Bean Casserole or Slow Cooker Vegan Persian-Style Green Bean Stew.
Vegan Slow Cooker Stewed Green Beans and Tomatoes
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
3 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce (OR gluten free tamari)
2 tsp maple syrup
28 ounce can of no salt diced tomatoes
½ cup broth (fake chicken or vegetable)
2 pounds fresh green beans, stems removed
Black pepper, to taste
1. First, you’ll start with sautéing the aromatics for the slow cooker green beans. In a large skillet, add sweet onion, olive oil and a dash of salt. Sauté over medium-low heat for 7-10 minutes or until onions are slightly golden.
2. Stir in smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Sauté another minute.
3. Next, add the soy sauce and maple syrup, and continue stirring until the soy sauce slightly reduces.
4. Stir in the can of tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Pour tomato mixture into the slow cooker, add in green beans and mix together.
6. Secure the lid, and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours. Remove lid, taste the stewed green beans with tomatoes, and adjust seasonings, if needed (more soy sauce? etc). Serve.