This is an easy recipe for vegan slow cooker smoky tempeh sauerkraut stew with liquid smoke, smoked paprika, caraway seeds and more. One of my favorite parts is the way the tempeh and sauerkraut smells, as it simmers. It’s smoky, savory goodness! And there’s really nothing like kraut and potatoes, so serving this stew over a pile of mashed potatoes is highly recommended.
Growing up, I ate a lot of sauerkraut. Slovaks and Slovak Americans, who feel close to their ethnic roots, know what I am talking about. We seemingly can’t get enough of it. And sauerkraut remains one of my favorite comfort foods, which is why UVK is chock-full of tasty vegan sauerkraut dishes, like Beet Potato Salad with Sauerkraut, Vegan Sauerkraut Goulash, Vegan Sauerkraut, White Bean and Barley Soup and more.
I have an old school Crock-Pot, which does not allow me to sauté in the pot. She’s reliable and still very effective, but I have to do my sautéing on the stove in a separate pot, and then, must spoon it into the slow cooker. If you’re lucky and are able to sauté right in the slow cooker, then do all the steps to this tempeh sauerkraut stew recipe right in your device.
Please enjoy this slow cooker smoky vegan tempeh with sauerkraut recipe! 💚 And check out more UVK recipes, like Slow Cooker Stewed Green Beans and Tomatoes or Vegan Slow Cooker Seitan and Green Pea Stew.
Slow Cooker Sauerkraut Tempeh Stew
2 Tbsp vegan butter (OR a neutral oil, like sunflower oil or canola oil)
2 cups large diced onions (OR 1 medium onion, large diced)
5 large garlic cloves, chopped
1½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp caraway seeds
2 cups bite size pieces of tempeh (OR 8 ounce package of tempeh, torn into chunks)
1 cup water
1 fake chicken bouillon cube (I used 1 Edward and Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon Cube)
2 bay leaves
2 cups drained sauerkraut
1½ cups sliced carrots (OR ~2 large carrots, sliced)
1 large red pepper, sliced
¼ tsp liquid smoke (I used Wright’s Hickory Liquid Smoke)
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. First, you’ll need to sauté the aromatics for the vegan sauerkraut stew. Over medium-high heat, add the vegan butter (or neutral oil) and onions. Sauté for ~7-10 minutes or until they are golden and soft.
2. Add the garlic, smoked paprika and caraway seeds. Stir around for about 30 seconds, and then, add the tempeh. Sauté over medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
3. Add the water, bouillon cube and bay leaves. Use a wooden spoon to loosen any bits that are stuck to the bottom.
4. Add everything to the slow cooker, including all the remaining sauerkraut tempeh stew ingredients listed in the recipe (sauerkraut, carrots, etc).
5. Stir until well combined, and secure the lid. Cook on HIGH for 3.5-4 hours. Remove the lid, taste and adjust flavors, if needed (More liquid smoke? salt?). Serve this vegan smoky sauerkraut tempeh stew over a bed of mashed potatoes.