This vegan slow cooker tempeh sauerkraut stew recipe is simple and tasty. One of my favorite parts is the way the tempeh and sauerkraut smells, as it simmers. It’s smoky goodness! And there’s really nothing like kraut and potatoes, so serving it over a pile of mashed potatoes is highly recommended.
Growing up, I ate a lot of sauerkraut. Slovaks and Slovak Americans, who feel close to their ethnic roots, know what I am talking about. We seemingly can’t get enough of it. And sauerkraut remains one of my favorite comfort foods, which is why UVK is chock-full of tasty vegan sauerkraut dishes.
I have an old school Crock-Pot, which does not allow me to sauté in the pot. She’s reliable and still very effective, but I have to do my sautéing on the stove in a separate pot, and then, must spoon it into the slow cooker. If you’re lucky and are able to sauté right in the slow cooker, then do all the steps to this recipe right in your device.
Please enjoy this smoky vegan tempeh with sauerkraut recipe! And thanks so much for stopping by 💚
Slow Cooker Sauerkraut Tempeh Stew
2 Tbsp vegan butter (OR a neutral oil, like sunflower oil or canola oil)
2 cups large diced onions (OR 1 medium onion, large diced)
5 large garlic cloves, chopped
1½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp caraway seeds
2 cups bite size pieces of tempeh (OR 8 ounce package of tempeh, torn into chunks)
1 cup water
1 fake chicken bouillon cube (I used 1 Edward and Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon Cube)
2 bay leaves
2 cups drained sauerkraut
1½ cups sliced carrots (OR ~2 large carrots, sliced)
1 large red pepper, sliced
¼ tsp liquid smoke (I used Wright’s Hickory Liquid Smoke)
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Over medium-high heat, add the vegan butter (or neutral oil) and onions. Sauté for ~7-10 minutes or until they are golden and soft.
2. Add the garlic, smoked paprika and caraway seeds. Stir around for about 30 seconds, and then, add the tempeh. Sauté over medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
3. Add the water, bouillon cube and bay leaves. Use a wooden spoon to loosen any bits that are stuck to the bottom.
4. Add everything to the slow cooker, including all the remaining ingredients listed in the recipe (sauerkraut, carrots, etc).
5. Stir until well combined, and secure the lid. Cook on HIGH for 3.5-4 hours. Remove the lid, taste and adjust flavors, if needed (More liquid smoke? salt?). Serve over a bed of mashed potatoes.