Halušky is enjoyed across Central and Eastern Europe. The term “halušky” can refer to the thick, soft noodles or potato dumplings themselves, or to the dish containing them. Slovak Strapačky is a halušky dish with stewed sauerkraut, and bacon. Inspired by Slovak strapačky (or strapacky), this is a delicious recipe for homemade vegan halušky (or halusky) potato dumplings with stewed sauerkraut that’s topped with crispy tempeh bacon. It’s creamy, smoky, a bit sour, and savory.
This vegan strapačky recipe makes ~4 servings.
A few things…
- ・Make this recipe with Easy Tempeh Bacon or your favorite vegan bacon. If you choose Easy Tempeh Bacon, it will need time to marinate.
- ・To take the edge off the sauerkraut, add it to a strainer and rinse it off with water. But I admit, I never rinse my sauerkraut.
- ・Slovaks traditionally make halušky by hand grating potatoes. I’ve found that peeling Russet potatoes and putting them in a blender is much faster.
- ・There are two ways to make homemade vegan halušky potato dumplings. You can either use a halušky maker (or spaetzle maker works just fine too) or you can do it the rustic way… just you, a chopping board and a knife. I will provide directions for using a chopping board and a knife.
- ・As you scrape the vegan potato dumplings’ batter into the boiling water, you’ll need to move fast. Halušky doesn’t take long to cook. When it reaches the surface of the water, it’s done. You can use a slotted spoon or strainer to remove the cooked vegan potato dumplings, and put them in the skillet with the stewed sauerkraut.
- ・Halušky are imperfect, but there’s still room to personalize their shape and size. Some cooks use their knife to sculpt the batter before dropping it in. Some try to keep their dumplings small. Others it’s a free for all. Do what feels good to you, but remember, you need to move quickly.
- ・Vegan strapačky, and really any dish including halušky, is best served right away. If you taste it and it needs something, add more vegan butter or salt.
Don’t miss more delicious UVK recipes, like Vegan Cheesy Potato and Bacon Pierogi, Vegan Cabbage and Noodles, Vegan Gnocchi with Sweet Corn, Collard Greens and Tempeh Bacon or Slow Cooker Tempeh Sauerkraut Stew.
Now, let’s go make a delicious vegan strapačky recipe 💚
Vegan Halušky Potato Dumplings with Stewed Sauerkraut and Tempeh Bacon (Vegan Strapačky)
1 cup chopped onion
5 Tbsp vegan butter
1 cup sauerkraut, drained and packed
1 cup chopped tempeh bacon (use homemade or your favorite vegan bacon)
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
4 cups chopped and peeled Russet potatoes (OR ~2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped)
1. First, you’ll get the water going for the vegan potato dumplings. Fill a very large pot with water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
2. While you wait for the water to boil, sauté the aromatics for the vegan strapačky. Add 2 Tbsp vegan butter and the onion to a very large, deep skillet. Sauté over medium-high heat for ~7 minutes or until the onion is soft and golden.
3. Next, add 2 more Tbsp of vegan butter and the sauerkraut to the skillet. Stir around until the butter melts. Then, turn the heat down to low and add ¼ cup water. Cover with a lid and allow to stew over low heat for ~20 minutes. Every now and then, check to make sure it doesn’t need more water.
4. In a small skillet, add 1 Tbsp vegan butter and the tempeh bacon. Fry over medium-high heat until it’s crispy on all sides. Remove the skillet from heat.
5. Next, we’ll make the vegan potato dumpling batter. Add the flour and the salt to a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center.
6. Add the potatoes to a blender. Blender until completely smooth.
7. Pour the potatoes into the well in the mixing bowl. Stir everything together. You should have a pretty wet vegan halušky potato dumpling batter. If it’s way too wet, add a little more flour. If it’s way too dry, add some water.
8. Using a spatula, scrape all the vegan halušky potato dumplings batter on top of a chopping board (see photo above).
9. Using a knife, scrape pieces of the vegan potato dumpling batter into the boiling water (see photo above). Move quickly. Give the halusky a gentle stir to loosen them from the bottom.
10. As the vegan halušky float to the top, remove them with a strainer or slotted spoon, and place them in the skillet with the stewed sauerkraut. Stir together. Taste the vegan strapacky and adjust flavors (more vegan butter or salt?).
11. Add the vegan halusky to a plate and top with the fried tempeh bacon. Serve immediately.