This vegan cabbage and noodles recipe is simple and delicious! It’s one of my favorite comfort meals. And it doesn’t take much to pull off.
If you’re an American with Slavic roots, you may be familiar with cabbage and noodles. In our household, it consisted of butter, onions, cabbage, broad noodles, salt and lots of black pepper. And before my family went vegetarian, it sometimes included smoked sausage.
After I went vegan, I had to settle for versions of it with Italian noodles, because broad noodles have eggs in them. Well, at least, they did until now! Leave it to Wal-Mart to fill the void with Great Value Wide Egg-Free Ribbon Noodles. Upon discovering them, I cleared out the shelf at the store. And so far, they have not disappointed.
Over the years, I’ve changed the way that I make this vegan cabbage and noodles recipe. In the 90’s, I started stirring in caraway seeds, because I like them. If this is a thing, I stumbled into it. Also, like many Slovak Americans, I love sauerkraut. I used to serve it on the side, and then, over decades of enjoying the dish, the sauerkraut just started migrating into it from time-to-time.
You can enjoy it with or without the caraway seed or sauerkraut. They are both deviations from the way I typically enjoyed this cabbage dish growing up, but both are super delicious additions.
A few things…
- ・If you can’t find the egg-free ribbon noodles near you, you can use another type of vegan dry pasta. It won’t be the same, but it’ll be ok in a pinch.
- ・If you let the onions and cabbage caramelize in the skillet, they’ll lend a sweeter, more savory flavor to this dish. Sauté until some of them are a little golden brown.
- ・This vegan cabbage and noodles recipe has few ingredients. Vegan butter, salt and black pepper play important roles in the flavor. Taste, and add more, if needed.
This pairs well with Field Roast Smoked Apple and Sage Plant-Based Sausage (carried in the U.S. at many chain grocery stores) and additional sauerkraut on the side.
Check out more UVK recipes, like Slow Cooker Vegan Cabbage Rolls with Sauerkraut Tomato Sauce, Vegan Halušky with Stewed Sauerkraut and Tempeh Bacon, Vegan Sauerkraut, White Bean and Barley Soup or Braised Red Cabbage and Carrots. And please enjoy 💚
Vegan Cabbage and Noodles
12 ounce package of wide eggless ribbon noodles (I used Great Value Wide Egg-Free Ribbons)
1 cup onions, sliced
4 Tbsp vegan butter
1 tsp (+ more to taste) salt
4½ cups cabbage, chopped
1 tsp caraway seeds (see note above)
Black pepper, to taste, but be generous
½ cup+ sauerkraut, drained – optional
1. Fill a large pot with water. Bring to a boil, and then, stir in the egg-free ribbon noodles. Boil for 7-8 minutes, or according to the directions on the package. Drain and rinse thoroughly with water. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, add the onions, butter, and ½ tsp salt. Moving the onions around constantly, sauté over medium-high heat for ~5 minutes or until the onions are soft and golden.
3. Add the cabbage, caraway seeds and black pepper (to taste, but a good amount). Moving the cabbage around constantly, sauté over medium-high heat for ~5 minutes or until the cabbage has sweated out and some of the leaves have browned in the process.
4. Add the egg-free ribbon noodles and ½ tsp salt. Constantly stirring around the cabbage and noodles, sauté over medium-high heat for another 3 minutes or until all the flavors are melded.
5. If you would like to add the optional sauerkraut, stir it into the dish. And stir around over medium-high for another minute. Then, taste the cabbage and noodles, and adjust seasonings, if needed (salt? black pepper? vegan butter? sauerkraut?). Serve.