I go through ingredient obsessions. And for me, the ingredient of the moment is buckwheat. In the past months, I’ve explored using it in many recipes. So, without further adieu, I share with you this delightfully creamy, super easy, cold vegan soba noodle salad recipe with shiitake mushrooms, asparagus and a ginger tahini dressing.
It makes ~4 servings.
A few things…
- ・It doesn’t matter which type of soba noodles you use in this salad. While testing this recipe, I tried soba rice noodles, soba noodles that had wheat and buckwheat in them, and 100% buckwheat soba noodles. All were delicious. Some were much more cost effective. Do what works for you.
- ・The marinated baked tofu is optional, but does make it feel more like a meal. To save time, you could opt for a prepackaged Asian-flavored baked tofu. Or you could make your own marinated grilled or baked tofu from scratch. Add as much or as little as you like.
- ・While I wait for the huge pot of water to boil, I like to use that time to clean and chop the ingredients for the recipe.
- Please enjoy this flavorful vegan soba noodle salad recipe! And discover more UVK recipes, like Asian Noodle Salad with Almond Sesame Dressing, Lemon Chickpea Asparagus Soup, Asparagus Salad with Walnuts, Farro and Lemon Vinaigrette, Shiitake Mushroom Soup or Vegan Cabbage and Noodles.
Vegan Soba Noodle Salad
Ginger Tahini Dressing:
1 Tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger root
1 tsp white miso paste
½ tsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp tahini
3 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce (OR gluten free tamari)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp maple syrup
9.5 ounce package of soba noodles (see note above)
1 Tbsp sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cups bite-size pieces of asparagus
3 cups halved fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Marinated baked tofu diced into cubes – optional (see notes above)
Sesame seeds, to top – optional
1. First, you’ll make the soba noodles for the salad. Fill a large pot with water. Cover it with a lid, and bring it to a boil for the soba noodles. Follow the directions on the package of noodles. When they are done cooking, rinse them with cold water and set them aside to drain.
2. Next, you’ll work on the vegan soba noodle salad dressing. Add all the ingredients listed under “Ginger Tahini Dressing” to a small food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
3. Add the sesame oil and garlic to a large skillet. Stir around the garlic for ~20 seconds over high heat. Then, add the asparagus, and stir around for another 30 seconds. Then, add the shiitake mushrooms. Sauté until the shiitakes are cooked through. Remove the skillet from heat and allow to cool.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the dressing and noodles. Toss until the noodles are well coated. Then, add the sautéed asparagus and mushrooms, the scallions, marinated baked tofu (if using). Combine, and taste. Adjust flavors, if needed (more soy sauce? more lemon juice?). Top this vegan soba noodle salad with sesame seeds (if using). Serve.