This easy recipe for vegan asparagus potato salad with fresh dill was an excuse to use horseradish. I love sneaking it into soup or a veggie burger recipe. And as I considered what to make for April, I thought, “Let’s make potato salad with horseradish!”
Horseradish and fresh dill taste awesome with potatoes and asparagus. The asparagus soaks up the dressing with sheer abandon. And it’s absolutely delicious.
Once while testing this recipe, the grocery store was out of honey gold baby potatoes. I was forced to use a fancy multicolored bag of blue, red and yellow. The color had no noticeable impact on the flavor. Use whatever color(s) of baby potatoes suits you.
Enjoy this asparagus and potato salad at room temperature or chilled. It makes ~4-6 servings.
Thanks for stopping by! Check out more UVK recipes like Lemon Chickpea Asparagus Soup, Asparagus Salad with Walnuts, Farro and Lemon Vinaigrette, Herbed Millet Skillet with White Beans and Asparagus or Lemon Artichoke Asparagus Soup 💚
Asparagus Potato Salad with Fresh Dill and Horseradish
⅓ cup finely chopped shallots
¼ cup olive oil
1.5 pounds of baby potatoes (see notes above)
3 cups sliced fresh asparagus
2 tsp prepared horseradish
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
⅓ cup chopped fresh dill
¾-1 tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
1. First, you’ll work on the asparagus potato salad’s dressing. In a small skillet, add the shallots and olive oil. Warm over HIGH heat until the shallots start to sizzle. Stir around for ~25-30 seconds. Be mindful not to brown or burn the shallots. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
2. Add 1″-2″ of water to a large pot. Lower a steam basket over it. Add the potatoes in a single layer. Cover with a lid, bring the water to a boil, and then, steam the potatoes for 20-35 minutes or until they are soft enough to enjoy eating. Pierce with a fork to test.
3. When the potatoes are cooked through, add the sliced asparagus over them, cover with a lid and steam for 2-3 minutes or until the asparagus are firm, but soft enough to enjoy eating in the salad.
4. Using a slotted spoon, remove the potatoes and asparagus from the steamer basket, and place them on a chopping board. Allow them to cool.
5. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them in half.
6. In a large salad bowl, whisk together the cooled olive oil with shallots, the horseradish, apple cider vinegar, fresh dill, salt and black pepper.
7. Add the potatoes and asparagus to the dressing in the large salad bowl.
8. Stir everything together. Taste the asparagus potato salad, and adjust flavors, if needed (more apple cider vinegar? horseradish? salt?). Serve.
8 responses to “Asparagus Potato Salad with Fresh Dill and Horseradish”
I love potato salad! Always makes me think of summertime. Looks delicious
Thanks so much, my friend!
Woo looks colorful yummy! Aspara and potatoes are so yum, love how you turned them into fulfilling salad👍💕✨
You’re very kind! Thank you 💚
This looks delicious!
I buy ‘ugly’ produce from Imperfect Foods based out of San Francisco, California. I got fresh dill n purple spuds in mine last week. Yesterday, I picked up asparagus at the market, Sounds like fate to me or one heck of a coincidence. Thanks for the post looks delicious
Oh I love it! It’s like the stars aligned. You’re so welcome, and I hope you enjoy it 😊