This vegan cream of celery soup recipe is simple to make, cooks up fast, and has a fresh, savory flavor. Maybe it’s the way the horseradish works in it? Possibly it’s the broth? But celery is one of those underrated vegetables that can bring so much flavor.
I’m one of those weirdos that eats the celery on the veggie party tray. I know, who eats the celery? Well, it’s this person. I love the crunch, freshness and slightly salty aftertaste. I like how it compliments dips.
And yet, celery doesn’t need to be on a veggie party tray for me to appreciate it. There’s a reason it’s an essential part of the French cooking’s mirepoix and the holy trinity of Cajun cooking. It really knows how to bring the “savory”. And this vegan cream of celery soup recipe lives up to that.
If you taste the celery soup and feel like it needs something, it’s probably salt. So don’t be shy and add a bit more, if it’s not hitting the mark.
Cream of Celery Soup
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
4 cups chopped celery
½ tsp dried thyme (OR ½ Tbsp fresh thyme)
2 bay leaves
2 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
3 cups fake chicken broth
1 cup unsweetened vegan milk (I used Good Karma Unsweetened Flax Milk)
½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley, divided
1 tsp prepared horseradish
2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. First, you’ll need to sauté the aromatics for the celery soup. In a large, heavy pot or dutch oven, add olive oil, onions, garlic and a dash of salt. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add celery, thyme, and bay leaves to the soup pot. Sauté for another 3 minutes.
3. Add potatoes and broth to the pot, and stir until well combined. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, turn the heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for ~10 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
4. Add 2 cups of the celery soup (with as much of the broth drained off as possible) into a blender. Add the unsweetened vegan milk, horseradish, and ¼ cup of the freshly chopped parsley to the blend. Blend until smooth.
5. Pour the “blended” soup into the soup pot. Add the remaining ¼ cup of parsley and the lemon juice to the pot. Stir to combine everything. Taste the vegan cream of celery soup, and adjust seasonings, if needed (Salt?). Serve.