This easy vegan minestrone soup recipe is loaded with zucchini, green beans, carrots, celery, spinach, tomatoes, pasta and a little dry white wine. It’s a wonderful Italian vegetable soup for summer, because it uses so much of the season’s bounty. But really, it’s great any time of year.
Is minestrone soup vegan? Sometimes. Some cooks use chicken stock, some add parmesan cheese. Other times, it’s straight up vegan. It really depends on who is making it. When you aren’t sure, it’s best to read the label, or ask your server or host. Or when time allows, make your own!
This vegan minestrone soup recipe makes 4 servings. Enjoy it with Panzanella Primavera, an Italian bread salad, or your favorite side dish.
Thanks for stopping by! And please enjoy this delicious soup 💚
Vegan Minestrone Soup
1 cup dried small shell pasta
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
½ tsp ground mustard seed
2 bay leaves
2 celery stalks, chopped
½ cup julienned or chopped carrots
½ cup fresh or frozen green beans
1 cup thickly sliced zucchini
¼ cup dry white wine
14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
3 cups broth (fake chicken or vegetable)
1 cup fresh spinach leaves, packed
2 Tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
Salt, to taste
Vegan parmesan, to top – optional
1. First, you’ll make the pasta for the minestrone soup. Fill a small saucepan with water. Bring to a boil. Add small shell pasta, and lower heat to medium-high. Boil for ~7 minutes or until soft enough to enjoy eating. Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
2. Next, you’ll sauté the aromatics for the minestrone soup. In a large heavy pot, add olive oil, onions, garlic and a dash of salt. Over medium heat, sauté for ~5 minutes or until soft. Then, add basil, oregano, thyme, crushed red pepper, ground mustard, bay leaves. Sauté another minute or two.
3. Next, add the celery, carrots, green beans, and zucchini to the soup pot. Stir around for a minute or two over medium-high heat. Then, add the wine. Stir around for another 2 minutes to allow the alcohol to burn off.
4. Add the diced tomatoes and broth. Cover with a lid, bring the minestrone soup to a boil, and then, turn heat down to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through and soft enough to enjoy eating.
5. Stir in the spinach, parsley and cooked pasta. Allow the spinach to wilt. Taste the vegan minestrone soup, and adjust seasonings (more salt?). Serve.