Whether you make your gnocchi from scratch, buy your gnocchi prepackaged, or use a gluten free variety, it is always absolutely delicious. So why deny yourself gnocchi in summer? Surely, we can figure out a way to use summer’s bounty to enjoy those delightful dumplings. Thus, I bring you this vegan pesto gnocchi recipe with grilled eggplant, zucchini and cherry tomatoes. When pesto, grilled vegetables and gnocchi come together, it’s summer comfort food at it’s best!
I used eggplant, zucchini and cherry tomatoes, because they all are commonly featured in Italian cuisine and my garden was exploding with them. If you want to get experimental and use other vegetables in this vegan pesto gnocchi recipe, feel free to do so. Pesto seems to make any grilled vegetable taste even better. Just make sure to adjust grill time (some veggies cook faster than others) and keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn.
For the pesto, you can use this recipe, use your favorite recipe, or use store bought. Regardless of which sauce you decide to use, you likely will need ~1 cup of it to get the job done. Some store bought vegan pesto sauces can have very strong flavor, so you may be able to get away with less than a cup. Just add a bit, mix it in, taste it, and see if it needs more.
Discover additional UVK recipes, like Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto, Kale Pesto Sandwich with Seitan and Apples, Gnocchi with Cannellini Beans, Spinach and Tomatoes, and more.
Gnocchi with Pesto and Grilled Eggplant, Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes
1 cup vegan pesto (see note above)
2 cups cubed eggplant
2 cups cubed zucchini
1 cup whole cherry tomatoes
1 lb package of vegan gnocchi (or make your own from scratch or make vegan gluten free gnocchi from scratch)
Vegan parmesan, to top – optional (I used Good Planet Parmesan)
- 1. First, you’ll grill the veggies for the vegan pesto gnocchi. In a large mixing bowl, toss eggplant, zucchini and cherry tomatoes in 1/2 cup vegan pesto until well-coated. Line a large, grill-proof sheet pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Spoon the vegetables across the foil in a single layer. Reserve the mixing bowl to use later.
2. Grill vegetables at 400º F for ~5 minutes. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn. Flip. Grill for ~3 more minutes. Once cooked through and possessing a char that you like, remove them from the grill.
3. Next, you’ll make the gnocchi for the vegan pesto dish. Bring a very large pot of water to a boil. Add the gnocchi, and boil for ~3 minutes or until all the gnocchi float to the top. Drain off the water, and add the gnocchi to the mixing bowl.
4. Add the remaining vegan pesto to the mixing bowl, and stir to coat the gnocchi, and then, add in the grilled vegetables.
5. Top with vegan parmesan (optional). Serve immediately.