I love gnocchi and love thinking of new ways to enjoy it. And this vegan gnocchi with Swiss chard and tomatoes is quick and tasty. Who knew Swiss chard gnocchi could be this good?
A few things…
- ・You can use store bought gnocchi or make your gnocchi from scratch.
- ・Any chard will do…red, rainbow, etc. It all tastes great.
- ・Only have a can of diced tomatoes, but there’s no Italian seasoning in them? You can still make this. When you add the tomatoes, just add some dried Italian herbs, like oregano and basil. Then, make sure to taste the Swiss chard gnocchi at the end. You may need additional herbs, salt and black pepper.
- ・In the past, I’ve used Swiss chard that’s already washed, chopped and ready-to-use. This can make prep work very speedy, because all you have to do is peel and chop 2 garlic cloves.
This vegan gnocchi with Swiss chard works for dinner any time of year. It’s simple, satisfying and delicious. Sometimes, I even make it for lunch on the weekends!
Gnocchi with Swiss Chard and Tomatoes
17.5 ounce package of vegan gnocchi (or make your own from scratch)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
5-6 cups chopped Swiss chard
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Vegan parmesan, to top – optional
1. First, you’ll make the gnocchi sauce. In a large skillet, add the olive oil and garlic over medium heat. Sauté for ~1 minute (just enough time to release the garlic flavor into the oil). Turn the heat down to low, and add the can of tomatoes. Stir until well combined, and cover with a lid.
2. Then, make the gnocchi according to the directions on the package. They usually only need to boil for 2-3 minutes or until they float to the top. As soon as they are done cooking and you have drained them, gently stir the gnocchi into the skillet with the tomato sauce.
3. Gently stir in the chopped Swiss chard. Let the Swiss chard wilt (about 1-2 minutes in the skillet).
3. Taste the gnocchi with Swiss chard, and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, and top with vegan parmesan, if using.