Generally served with grilled fish or meat, blitva is a traditional Croatian side of swiss chard, potatoes and loads of garlic. Some would say it’s Croatia’s most popular side dish, and with good cause. It’s sinfully easy to make, and very, very good.
Today’s dish is inspired by humble, flavorful blitva. Adding in some garbanzos for protein, a little lemon for acidity, and a flakey puff pastry to bring everything together for a hearty main course. Instead of a sandwich, enjoy some turnovers with a piping hot bowl of soup. Or enjoy one after the other completely on their own!
For a variation of this recipe, you can also add a teaspoon of almond ricotta when stuffing them. For the almond ricotta, you can make your own from scratch, or if it’s available, you can use store bought almond ricotta, like Kite Hill.
Swiss Chard, Potato and Garbanzo Turnovers
2 yellow potatoes, quartered and sliced
1 15 ounce can garbanzos
1 ½ bouillon cubes
1 + 4 garlic cloves, smashed
4 cups water
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups swiss chard, torn
1 17.3 ounce package of frozen vegan puff pastry, slightly thawed (like Pepperidge Farms Frozen Puff Pastry)
Salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Add potatoes, garbanzos, bouillon, 1 garlic clove, and water to pot. Boil until potatoes are fork tender (~7 minutes). Remove from heat, and drain.
2. In the same pot, add olive oil and the remaining garlic over medium-low heat. Cook for about 30 seconds, and then, add drained potatoes and garbanzos. Pan-fry for about 5 minutes–adding more olive oil, if needed. Add a dash of salt, and then, stir in swiss chard. Cook for 3 more minutes, and then, allow to cool.
3. Cut one sheet of puff pastry into 4 equal squares. Cut the second sheet of puff pastry into 4 equal squares. You should have a total of 8 squares. Roll out one of the squares, and put about 1-2 Tbsp of filling in the center of the square.
4. Fold puff pastry in half to form a triangle. Pinch the ends together.
5. Crimp with a fork around the edges. Repeat this process until all the puff pastry squares are filled, sealed and crimped. Then, place the 8 finished turnovers on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.