Man, I love lentils. I love them in soups, burgers, and so many other vegan dishes. Maybe you love them too? It’s part of the reason I couldn’t resist putting together this vegan recipe for mushroom lentil pot pie!
This simple, delicious, super savory vegan lentil pot pie recipe is the perfect comfort food for cold nights, holiday celebrations and more. There’s major flavor synergy with the combination of tahini, soy sauce, dried herbs and garlic. It brings out the best in the rest of the ingredients, and I can’t wait for you to try it!
- ・I used green lentils in this vegan pot pie recipe. If you use a different variety, they may cook through faster or take more time to simmer. Adjust accordingly.
- ・No cast iron skillet? Don’t fret. Spoon the mushroom lentil filling into a greased casserole dish and top it with the puff pastry. It’ll work just fine, but you may need to adjust the cook time based on the size of your dish.
Please enjoy 💚 And don’t miss more UVK savory pie recipes, like Vegan Tofu Pot Pie, Vegan Greek Spinach Pie, Cowboy Skillet Pie or Vegan Jackfruit Chickpea Curry Shepherd’s Pie.
Mushroom Lentil Pot Pie
1 cup dry green lentils
4¾ cups water
1½ cups chopped onion
2 tsp olive oil
5 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ tsp rubbed sage
½ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp dried rosemary
Ground black pepper, to taste
8 ounce package (OR ~3½ cups) sliced mushrooms
¾ cup chopped carrots
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
⅓ cup tahini
2 frozen sheets of vegan puff pastry (I used a 17.3 ounce package of Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry Sheets)
- 1. First, you’ll cook the lentils for the vegan mushroom lentil pot pie. In a small pot, add the lentils and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil. Then, cover and simmer over low for 20-30 minutes or until completely cooked through. Drain off excess water, and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 400º F. Then, in a large cast iron skillet, add the onion, olive oil, and a dash of salt. Stir around over medium-high heat for ~7 minutes or until the onion is soft and golden.
3. Add the garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary and ground black pepper. Stir around another minute.
4. Add the mushrooms, carrots and celery. Stir around over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until the mushrooms sweat out.
5. Turn the heat down to low, and add the soy sauce. Using a wooden spoon, loosen any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Then, add the tahini. Stir together, and remove from heat.
6. Add the cooked lentils and ¾ cup water to the skillet. Stir together the mushroom lentil pot pie filling, and then, spread evenly across the bottom of the skillet.
7. Top the skillet with puff pastry sheets. Avoid leaving gaps. (note: No oven-safe cast iron skillet? Spoon the mushroom lentil pot pie filling into a greased casserole dish and top with puff pastry. You may need to adjust the cook time based on the size of your dish.)
8. Bake at 400º F for 30-35 minutes. Remove the vegan lentil and mushroom pot pie from the oven. Serve.
4 responses to “Mushroom Lentil Pot Pie”
Your recipes are great – keep posting!
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the encouragement and support 💚
This is a great idea for a vegan pot pie. The mushroom, lentil, tahini combo is a wonderful complete protein. Upon making it I tweaked a number of the amounts on the ingredients, added an entire crown of chopped broccoli to round it out with a green veggie, and topped the finished pie with freshly squeezed lemon and chopped parsley. Yummy!
Sounds like an interesting twist. I’m so glad you enjoyed it!