This is an easy vegan lentil walnut burgers recipe with green lentils, bulgur, sherry vinegar, rosemary and more. They’re hearty, savory and oh so good topped with sautéed mushrooms. You can enjoy these vegan lentil and walnut burgers year round, whether you grill them on the bbq, pan fry them on the stove, or bake them on a lightly greased cookie sheet in the oven.
This recipe makes 4 lentil walnut burger patties.
A few things…
- ・Before you start this walnut burger recipe, you’ll need to cook the green lentils and the fine grain bulgur.
- ・I would urge you to use sherry vinegar, because it adds to the flavor. But if you’re in a pinch, you can give balsamic vinegar a shot. It won’t be exactly the same, but it’ll still be good.
・Top this recipe for lentil walnut burgers with whatever you want. We enjoyed them with some fresh salad greens, sautéed sliced mushrooms, miso mayo (2 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise + ¼ tsp white miso) and dijon mustard.
Discover more UVK recipes, like Sweet Corn Salad with Tomatoes, Basil and Bulgur, Spicy Black and White Bean Burgers, Italian White Bean Burgers, Mushroom Farro Burgers, Sun-Dried Tomato Chickpea Burgers, Buffalo Flavored Nuts and more.
Now, let’s go make a delicious vegan lentil walnut burger recipe!
Rosemary Lentil Walnut Burgers
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup raw walnuts
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp sherry vinegar (see note above)
3 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
2 cups cooked green lentils
1 cup cooked fine grain bulgur
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ cup flat leaf parsley
1 cup julienned carrots
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced (OR ½-1 tsp dried rosemary)
1 Tbsp flax seed meal
4 burger buns, to serve
1. First, you’ll need to sauté the aromatics for the lentil walnut burger. In a large skillet, add red onions, olive oil and a dash of salt. Sauté over medium-low heat for ~10 minutes or until the onions start to turn a bit golden.
2. Then, stir in the walnuts and garlic, and sauté another 3-5 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly, to help toast up the walnuts. Then, add the sherry vinegar and soy sauce. Keep stirring until it completely reduces (another 1-2 minutes).
3. In a blender or food processor, add 1 cup cooked green lentils, ½ cup cooked bulgur, the walnut-onion mixture from the skillet, garlic powder and fresh parsley. Pulse until it becomes a nice, mostly smooth, paste. Spoon into a large mixing bowl.
4. Add all the remaining lentil walnut burger ingredients (the rest of the lentils, rest of the bulgur, carrots, etc) to the large mixing bowl. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to combine. Taste, and adjust seasonings, if necessary (does it need more salt? Little more vinegar?). If the mixture feels too wet, add a bit more flax seed meal (another tsp), and wait about 15 minutes. Test again to see if it’s a little more firm.
5. For this lentil walnut burger recipe, I made 4 burgers out of the mixture, and thus, the times below are for making 4 burgers. If you make more than 4 burgers, the burgers will take less time to cook on each side. In addition, everyone has a different version of how “charred” they like their burger. Adjust accordingly for size and desired level of “char”.
- TO GRILL: Line a gas grill with a large piece of non-stick aluminum foil. Shape 4 burgers out of the burger mixture, and brush with olive oil. I used a gas grill at 450º F, and grilled for 4 minutes on each side.
- TO PAN FRY: Add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil to a large skillet, and warm over medium heat. Shape 4 burgers out of the burger mixture. Fry over medium-low heat and allow to cook for ~4 minutes on each side.
- TO BAKE: Preheat the oven to 450º F. Line a large cookie sheet with non-stick aluminum foil. Shape 4 burgers out of the burger mix, and brush them with olive oil. Place the burgers on the non-stick aluminum foil. When the oven reaches 450º F, bake for 4 minutes, then remove the cookie sheet, flip each burger, and return it to the oven. Bake for another 4 minutes.
6. Serve these vegan lentil walnut burgers on a bun, and top with your favorite toppings 🙂