This is an easy recipe for vegan sweet corn salad with tomatoes, fresh basil and bulgur. The flavor is bursting with summer’s bounty! It’s one fresh, tasty corn and bulgur salad that’s perfect for lunch or as a side dish.
It’s super simple to make. You boil some water and add it to the bulgur. You blanch some fresh sweet corn. Whisk together a balsamic dressing. And then, add all the corn salad ingredients together.
- ・If you’re making this vegan corn salad recipe ahead of time, don’t add the fresh basil until you’re ready to serve it. Otherwise, this salad holds up well.
Please enjoy! And check out more UVK recipes, like Coconut Corn Soup with Soy Curls, Kidney Bean Succotash, Rosemary Lentil Walnut Burgers, or Vegan Gnocchi with Sweet Corn, Collard Greens and Tempeh Bacon.
Sweet Corn Salad with Tomatoes, Basil and Bulgur
1 cup fine bulgur
2 cups water
3 cups fresh raw sweet corn (OR ~4 ears of sweet corn, corn cut off the cob)
¼ cup olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic reduction (see notes above)
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp dijon mustard
Black pepper, to taste
1½ cups small dice fresh tomatoes
1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1. First, you’ll work on the bulgur for the corn salad. Add the bulgur to a heat safe large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- 2. Next, add 2 cups of water to a small pot. Bring it to a rapid boil. Pour over the bulgur in the mixing bowl. Cover the mixing bowl with a plate for 12-15 minutes or until soft enough to enjoy eating.
- 3. Drain any excess water from the bulgur and set aside to cool.
4. Bring a very large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add the raw sweet corn to a strainer. Submerge the strainer in the boiling water for 10 seconds. Then, remove the stainer from the pot, and immediately place it under cold running water. Rinse off the sweet corn until it is no longer hot. Set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add the olive oil, balsamic reduction, salt, dijon mustard and black pepper (to taste). Whisk together.
6. Add the cooled bulgur to the balsamic dressing in the mixing bowl. Stir together. Then, add all the remaining ingredients of the corn salad. Stir together.
7. Taste the vegan sweet corn salad. Adjust seasonings, if needed (more salt? balsamic reduction?). Serve.