Jicama is a plant from Mexico. Many people associate the term, jicama, with the plant’s edible tuberous root. This part of the plant is crisp, starchy and slightly sweet. In Mexico, it is often enjoyed raw with lime juice, chili powder and salt.
Jicama was a perfect candidate to add some dimension to this delicious oil free vegan black bean and corn salad recipe. It works magically with all the ingredients, especially the guajillo chili lime dressing. And it has a pleasing texture.
A few notes…
- ・You can find jicama in many U.S. grocery store produce departments. Sometimes, it comes prepackaged as “jicama sticks”, and sometimes, it’s a tuber.
- ・Guajillo chili powder has a mild heat. Other chili powders have no heat or a lot of heat. If you use another type of chili powder in this recipe, you may need more or less of it. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- ・I used 4 medium ears of sweet corn on the cob for this salad. After steaming it, I cut the corn off the cob. You can also use frozen sweet corn.
- ・This salad can be made ahead. After refrigerating overnight, it maintained its crunch. Before serving, be sure to taste and if needed, refresh the lime juice, salt and chili powder for maximum flavor.
This black bean and corn salad with jicama works great for picnics, as a bbq side, packed in a cooler for a road trip, as a dinner side, for lunch, or even as a light meal in the summer.
Black Bean, Sweet Corn and Jicama Salad
⅓ cup lime juice
⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
⅓ cup scallion, chopped
1½ tsp guajillo chili powder (see note above)
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp Mexican oregano
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
1 15.5 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed (OR 1¾ cup black beans)
3 cups sweet corn (see note above)
1 cup jicama, chopped into bite-size pieces
¾ cup red bell pepper, chopped into bite-size pieces
½ cup avocado, chopped into bite-size pieces
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the lime juice, cilantro, scallions, guajillo chili powder, smoked paprika, Mexican oregano, garlic powder and salt. Stir together.
2. Then, add the black beans, sweet corn, jicama, red bell pepper and avocado. Stir together.
3. Taste, and adjust seasonings, if needed (more salt? more lime juice? more guajillo chili powder?). Serve.