Some black bean soup recipes use tomatoes, dried beans, and lots of time. This one uses none of these things. This easy vegan black bean soup recipe uses canned beans and orange juice. It’s simple, budget friendly, and comes together in about 30 minutes.
My absolute favorite ingredient is the orange juice. Its sweetness works so well with the rest of the elements, especially the chipotle powder.
This recipe for vegan black bean soup makes ~4 servings. Enjoy it with some rice or Jerk Jackfruit Tacos on the side.
Vegan Black Bean Soup
1½ cups chopped red onions
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ cup chopped red bell peppers
⅓ cup chopped carrots
5 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
½ tsp chipotle chile powder
2 bay leaves
2 cups broth (vegetable or fake chicken)
2 15 ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed (OR ~3 cups cooked black beans)
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 scallions, thinly sliced
⅓ cup orange juice
1 Tbsp lime juice
Salt, to taste (I used ½ tsp, but you may need more or less)
1. In a large pot or dutch oven, add the red onion, olive oil and a dash of salt. Sauté over medium-high heat for ~5 minutes or until soft.
2. Add the red pepper and carrots to the pot. Stir around for 3 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, chipotle powder, and bay leaves to the pot. Stir around for a minute.
4. Add the broth and black beans to the pot. Cover with a lid, bring to a boil, and then, turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add ~2 cups of the beans and veggies from the soup to a blender. Watch out for the bay leaves, and make sure they do not end up in the blender. Blend until smooth. If it gets too thick, add a little of the broth from the soup pot to thin it out.
6. Add the contents of the blender back into the pot soup. Then, stir in the cilantro, scallions, orange juice, lime juice and salt. Taste, and adjust flavors, if needed (more orange juice? more lime juice? more salt?). Serve this vegan black bean soup topped with scallion.