This vegan jerk jackfruit recipe could not be easier! You mix canola oil, spices, salt and young jackfruit in a bowl, and then, grill it. It tastes awesome alongside Slow Cooker Kidney Beans and Coconut Brown Rice. I also like to add a little homemade mango salsa!
To make fresh mango salsa, chop up 1 mango, a handful of cilantro, 1 scallion, and 1-½ jalapeño (if you’re really sensitive to heat, get rid of the jalapeño seeds), and mix around in a bowl. Then, add lime juice and salt to taste.
For a variation, enjoy jerk jackfruit tacos topped with homemade mango salsa, or make a jerk jackfruit wrap with fried plantains and baby kale. You could also serve it over a baked sweet potato with mango salsa on top!
You cannot lose with this super easy, tasty Jamaican-inspired vegan recipe.
½ cup canola oil
2 – 1½ Tbsp ground allspice
1 Tbsp onion powder
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp salt
2 14 ounce cans of young jackfruit, drained, rinsed and shredded (I used Native Forest Organic Young Jackfruit)
Lime wedges, to serve
1. Line a grill-proof sheet pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Set aside. Then, start your grill, so it can heat up to ~400º F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the canola oil, allspice, onion powder, thyme, ginger, garlic powder, nutmeg, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt. Whisk together until well incorporated.
3. Add the jackfruit to the mixing bowl, and stir until everything is well coated.
4. Spread the jackfruit in an even layer over the lined sheet pan. Place the sheet pan on the grill, and grill for about 5 minutes at 400º F. Flip over the jackfruit, and then, grill for another 5-7 minutes. It should be slightly crispy.
5. Remove from grill. Serve alongside Slow Cooker Kidney Beans and Coconut Brown Rice, homemade mango salsa (recipe in notes above) and lime wedges. Or serve it in tacos, in a wrap or over a baked sweet potato.