Many Americans are familiar with maki sushi. It is shaped like a long cylinder, is sliced, and then, eaten with chopsticks. Temaki sushi, or hand roll sushi, is cone shaped, and can be eaten by hand. Inspired by Japanese temaki, this is an easy vegan mango hand roll sushi recipe with cucumber, red bell pepper, cilantro and a spicy sauce.
This recipe makes ~10-12 mango temaki sushi.
A few things…
- ・To peel the mango, I like to use a potato peeler.
- ・You can adjust the spiciness of the sushi sauce. After tasting it, if it’s not hot enough, add more sriracha.
- ・For a variation, add avocado in with the mango sushi filling. It’s also very, very good!
- ・These taste best eaten right away.
If you enjoy this vegan mango hand roll sushi recipe, be sure to check out more UVK recipes, like Avocado Cucumber Carrot Sushi with Sweet Chili Sauce or Shiitake Mushroom Sushi Rolls.
Now, let’s go make some vegan hand rolls!
Mango Hand Roll Sushi
Spicy Sushi Sauce:
1 Tbsp agave
1 tsp sriracha sauce
¼ tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp lime juice
¼ tsp salt
1 medium mango, peeled and sliced into thin strips
1 small red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
½ English cucumber, sliced into thin strips
A handful of fresh cilantro, leaves on the steams
5-6 nori sheets
1. Make the sushi rice by following this recipe.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together everything listed under “Spicy Sushi Sauce”.
3. Stir the mango into the spicy sushi sauce. Taste, and adjust flavor, if needed (more sriracha?). Set aside.
4. Next, it’s time to assemble the mango hand rolls. Using scissors cut the nori sheet horizontally into 2 equal pieces (see photo above).
5. On a dry flat surface (like a chopping board), place a ½ sheet of nori with the shiny side facing down. Sprinkle some cooled rice over the left side of the nori sheet (see photo above). It doesn’t need to be perfect.
6. Get your fingertips wet, and pat down the rice into an even layer. Then, add some cilantro, mango, red pepper, cucumber and a small drizzle of the spicy sushi sauce (see photo above).
7. Next, it’s time to roll the mango sushi. Starting with bottom left corner, roll diagonally towards the filling. Continue rolling towards the right and down until it’s cone shaped, but has a small nori tail. Place a few sushi rice grains on the tail. (see photo above).
8. Then, finish rolling up the nori and press, so the sushi rice acts like glue and holds the mango hand roll together. Place the finished roll on a plate.
9. Continue making mango hand roll sushi until you’ve run out of rice. It should make ~10-12 rolls. Garnish with any remaining mangoes, veggies and spicy sauce. Serve immediately with soy sauce on the side.
4 responses to “Mango Hand Roll Sushi”
Your sushi is a work of art! And sounds tasty as well.
Very kind of you, thank you! Vegan sushi is always so vibrant. Excited for you to give it a try 💚
Beautiful and so vibrant!