Inspired by Italian flavors, this is a delicious vegan recipe for homemade white bean burgers with almond ricotta, savory onions and garlic, and dried basil and parsley. And they stay together! These burgers are pretty easy to flip, and aren’t too messy to eat.
This recipe makes 3 large or 4 medium burgers. You’ll need to adjust cook time based on how large you shape your burgers. For 3 large burgers out on the barbecue grill, it took ~5 minutes on one side, and 3 minutes on the other. For 4 medium burgers, it took 3 minutes on one side, and 2 minutes on the other. Adjust the time to suit your preferred level of char or crispiness.
While I was testing these white bean burgers, I tried them with store bought almond ricotta. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t great. So, I decided not to list it as a substitution. If you use store bought almond ricotta, keep in mind that it won’t be as flavorful.
Top this recipe for vegan white bean burgers with whatever you want. They work well with traditional toppings, like pickles, mustard, ketchup, etc. And they’re absolutely delicious with just a little sliced tomato and vegan pesto!
Discover more UVK recipes, like Rosemary Lentil Walnut Burgers, Vegan Beet Chorizo Burgers, Mushroom Farro Burgers, Sun-Dried Tomato Chickpea Burgers or Spicy Black and White Bean Burgers.
Italian White Bean Burgers
1 batch homemade almond ricotta
1 cup white onion, small dice
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tsp olive oil (+ more olive oil to drizzle)
1½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 cup panko bread crumbs
15 ounce can (OR ~1½ cups) great northern white beans, drained and rinsed
Salt, to taste (I added ¼ tsp)
Vegan pesto, to top – optional
Tomato slices, to top – optional
1. First, make almond ricotta cheese by following this recipe.
2. Next, you’ll sauté the aromatics for the vegan white bean burgers. In a skillet, add onion, garlic, olive oil and a dash of salt. Sautè over medium-high heat for ~7 minutes or until the onions are soft and slightly golden. Add the dried basil and stir around for another 30 seconds.
3. Spoon the onions and garlic into a large mixing bowl. Add the almond ricotta, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, bread crumbs, great northern white beans, and salt (to taste).
4. Smash together the white bean burger mixture with your hands until well combined, but still with some identifiable beans. Let sit for ~5 minutes, so the bread crumbs absorb some of the moisture.
5. Below are instructions for grilling or baking white bean burgers. You may need less time (or more time) depending on the size of your burgers, and how charred or crisped up you like them. Keep an eye on them throughout the process, and let your preferences guide you 🙂
- TO GRILL: Line a grill safe pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over it, and spread it around. Heat up the grill to 375º-400º F.
- Shape the bean burgers, and place them on the lined grill safe pan. Place the pan on the grill, and shut the lid. Barbecue for ~3-5 minutes on one side. Then, flip the burgers, and barbecue for another 2-3 minutes.
- TO BAKE: Preheat the oven to 400º F. Line a cookie sheet with non-stick aluminum foil. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the foil, and then, spread it around.
- Shape the white bean burgers, and place them on the lined cookie sheet. Bake at 400º F for 10-12 minutes on one side. Then, flip the burgers, and bake for another 5-7 minutes.
6. Remove from the grill (or oven). Serve on buns. Top your white bean burger with sliced tomatoes and vegan pesto, or your favorite toppings. Enjoy with cookout sides, like Broccoli Pasta Salad with Italian Herb Dressing or Heirloom Tomato Salad.
One response to “Italian White Bean Burgers”
[…] recipe for pasta, as a pizza sauce, on grilled vegetables with gnocchi, stirred into risotto, on burgers and more! It yields ~1 cup. For the best flavor, make it right before you want to use […]