Crispy tempeh bacon, shallots, and fresh basil with a white wine vinegar and olive oil dressing, they all felt like the right things to put in this delicious vegan heirloom tomato salad. I mean, what better way to celebrate the king of all tomatoes?
A few things…
- ・You can either use homemade tempeh bacon or use store bought.
- ・Fresh basil works better than dried basil.
- ・If it seems like it’s missing something, add a little more salt.
As a variation, use this recipe to make vegan bruschetta. Rub sliced Italian bread with fresh garlic and brush lightly with olive oil. Then, top with the vegan tomato salad and plant based parmesan. Broil or grill for ~5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Enjoy this delicious recipe throughout the warmer months of the year! And check out more UVK recipes, like Vegan Shopska Salad, Vegan Cheesy Potato and Bacon Pierogi, Vegan Gnocchi with Sweet Corn, Collard Greens and Tempeh Bacon, or Chipotle Tempeh Kebabs 💚
Vegan Heirloom Tomato Salad
½ cup crumbled tempeh bacon (use homemade or store bought)
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp torn fresh basil
4 cups chopped heirloom tomatoes
1-2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Vegan parmesan, to top – optional
1. First, you’ll make the tempeh bacon for the vegan tomato salad. In a skillet, add tempeh bacon, shallots and olive oil. Over medium-low heat, sauté until tempeh is crisped to your preference. (I did mine for ~7 minutes).
2. Add the tomatoes, basil, white wine vinegar, salt and black pepper to a large salad bowl. Gingerly stir together to combine. Top with the shallots, vegan bacon and vegan parmesan (optional). Serve immediately.