I love chipotle peppers—their spiciness and their smokiness. And, this delicious recipe for vegan grilled tempeh kebabs with chipotle peppers highlights them perfectly. They bring so much to this spicy tempeh marinade.
When it comes to cooking with tempeh, there seems to be a debate on whether to steam it or not. I have found that steamed tempeh soaks up marinades much more readily. It wouldn’t recommend skipping it.
Making the spicy chipotle tempeh marinade is simple. You blend it together. Then, it just takes a little bit of time to allow all the flavors to develop. For best results, marinate it overnight. For pretty good results, a minimum of 4 hours does the trick.
These chipotle tempeh kebabs taste great on their own, but would work well in a taco, burrito, or in a grain bowl. However you do it, prepare for some happy taste buds!
Check out additional UVK recipes, like Grilled Pomegranate Molasses Tempeh Kebabs, Chipotle Lime Jackfruit, Tempeh Bacon, Vegan Pita Sandwich with Grilled Eggplant and Pomegranate Molasses Tempeh, Asian Orzo Pasta Salad and more.
Please enjoy this delicious recipe 💚
Chipotle Tempeh Kebabs
2 8 ounce packages of tempeh, cut into bite size cubes
Olive oil, to drizzle
2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce + 2-3 Tbsp of the adobo sauce
3 large garlic cloves
⅓ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup fresh cilantro (stems and leaves), packed
1 Tbsp agave
1 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1. First, you’ll steam the tempeh to prep it for the chipotle marinade. Fill a large pot with ~1 inch of water. Place a steamer basket in the pot, and then, cover the pot with a lid. Bring the water to a boil.
2. When the water boils, add the cubed tempeh to the steamer basket in a single layer. Steam the cubed tempeh for 7 minutes.
3. Next, add everything listed under “Marinade” to a blender. Blend until the spicy chipotle tempeh marinade is smooth.
4. Add the steamed tempeh to a container with a lid, pour in the marinade and mix well. Seal the container with the lid, and refrigerate overnight, or for a minimum of 4 hours.
5. When the tempeh is done marinating, skewer it. It should make between 3-4 kebabs depending on how long your skewers are and how big you cut the cubes of tempeh. Place the kebabs on top of a large sheet of non-stick aluminum foil and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
6. Add the non-stick foil to the grill, and grill at ~375º F for 7 minutes on each side (depending on how charred you like it!). Remove from the grill and serve with lime wedges. Vegan chipotle tempeh kebabs tastes excellent on their own, in tacos, inside burritos, or in a grain bowl!