Grill season is the perfect time to whip out the pomegranate molasses. It works so well on grilled foods, especially tempeh. While my local natural foods store carries it, it can be a little tricky to find. You may want to try an international foods store, or order it online. Or if you are feeling ambitious, you can always make your own pomegranate molasses.
This tempeh kebab recipe has been revised. In the marinade, I upped the pomegranate molasses, added white miso and soy sauce to give it more umami, and added cinnamon for complexity. I also added a step for steaming the tempeh before marinading it. Steaming tempeh helps it absorb more flavor. Overall, this recipe tastes even better than the original, and it is very easy to do, even if it takes a little patience waiting for the tempeh to marinade!
These vegan kebabs for the bbq are tasty. After 4 hours of marinading in the refrigerator, it’s a ~10 minutes on the grill. Lining a grill-proof pan with non-stick aluminum foil makes grilling (and clean-up) a snap. No sticking tempeh or kebabs falling apart. Whether you eat them alone or on a pita, the lemon tahini sauce makes the perfect condiment.
Grilled Pomegranate Molasses Tempeh Kebabs
Pomegranate Molasses Tempeh:
1 Tbsp white miso
⅓ cup warm water
1 lb (OR two 8 ounce packages) of tempeh, cubed
¼ cup pomegranate molasses
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce (OR gluten free tamari)
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Olive oil, to drizzle
Lemon tahini sauce, to serve – optional
1. Add the white miso to ⅓ cup of warm water and stir with a fork until fully dissolved. Set aside.
2. Fill a large pot with ~1 inch of water. Place a steamer basket in the pot. Cover the pot with a lid, and bring the water to a boil.
3. When the water boils, add the cubed tempeh to the steamer basket. Steam the cubed tempeh for 7 minutes. While it’s steaming, start putting together the marinade.
4. In a large, fully sealable container, add the white miso-water mixture, pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic powder, and cinnamon. Whisk together.
5. When the tempeh is done steaming, add it to the pomegranate molasses marinade. Secure the lid to the fully sealable container and shake the container, so the marinade coats all the pieces. Refrigerate overnight, or for a minimum of 4 hours.
6. When the time is up on the tempeh marinade, cover a grill-proof pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Then, skewer the tempeh and place the skewers on the foil. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
7. Heat up the grill until it reaches 400 F. Then, place the pan with the skewers on the grill. Close the lid. Grill at 400 F for ~3-4 minutes, and then, flip. Grill for another ~3-4 minutes or until it reaches a level of char that you prefer.
8. Remove from the grill, and serve with lemon tahini sauce. Enjoy solo or on a pita.