This is an easy recipe for vegan grilled tofu skewers with a soy sauce marinade, mushrooms and red bell peppers. Loaded with garlic, ginger and scallions, the marinade is very flavorful. Overall, it’s a simple, tasty dish for summer.
This recipe makes ~5 skewers.
A few things…
- ・Extra firm tofu works best for these grilled skewers.
- ・Pressing tofu is like squeezing water out of a sponge. It allows the tofu to release excess water, so it can soak up marinade.
- ・To press the tofu, wrap the tofu in a paper towel. Place it on a chopping board. Then, place a plate over the tofu. Place 4 cans of beans on top of the plate. Wait 15-30 minutes. And the tofu is ready to go!
- ・For the best flavor, marinate the tofu and veggies for 2 hours. Don’t have enough time for that? One hour is ok, but the flavor is a bit less intense.
- ・For a variation, ditch the veggies. Instead of using a 9″ X 13″ pan to marinate the tofu, use an 8″ X 8″. Otherwise, follow the rest of the directions in the recipe. It will yield ~3 grilled tofu skewers.
This grilled tofu skewers recipe tastes delicious on it’s own or served on a bed of brown rice with a little additional marinade drizzled over it.
May this recipe be the hit of your backyard barbecue! And check out more UVK recipes, like Vegan Souvlaki Tempeh Pita, Grilled Lemon Garlic Herb Tofu Skewers, Vegan Stuffed Red Peppers with Chickpeas and Rice, Marinated Grilled or Baked Tofu, or Grilled Pomegranate Molasses Tempeh Kebabs.
Thanks for stopping by 💚
Grilled Tofu Skewers with Red Peppers and Mushrooms
16 ounce package of extra firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cubed (see notes above)
4 scallions, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1 cup reduced sodium soy sauce (OR gluten free tamari)
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp agave
8 ounces whole mushrooms (OR ~3 cups whole mushrooms)
1 large red bell pepper, chopped into large pieces (OR ~2 cups large pieces of red bell pepper)
1. First, you’ll make the soy sauce marinade for the grilled tofu skewers. In a 9″ X 13″ pan, add the scallions, garlic, fresh ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and agave. Stir together.
2. Next, add the tofu, mushrooms and red bell pepper to the soy sauce marinade. Refrigerate for an 1-2 hours. Flip the tofu and veggies at the half way point (30 minutes-1 hour into the marination process).
3. After the tofu is done marinating, line a grill with non-stick aluminum foil. Then, heat up the grill to 400º F. As the grill heats up, skewer the tofu, mushrooms and red bell pepper, and place them on plate.
4. Grill the tofu skewers at 400º F. Turn the skewers every 30-45 seconds and grill every side or until they are fully cooked through and to your desired level of char. Remove from the grill. Serve immediately.