When I think of tofu marinades, I usually think of soy sauce or BBQ. And yet, this herby garlic tofu marinade works so nicely! This recipe for grilled lemon, garlic and herb tofu skewers is not hard to make, but it takes time to marinate (~3 hours). If you are able to marinate a bit longer, it’s even better.
Before marinating, you’ll need to make sure to press the tofu. Pressed tofu is like a sponge. It wants to soak up flavor. In addition, it will make grilling or broiling a snap. The tofu tends to stay together a little better. If you line the grill with non-stick aluminum foil, it’s even easier.
Finally, these grilled lemon, garlic and herb tofu skewers taste delicious served over Spinach Cannellini Bean Orzo. Or of course, you can serve them with whatever sides you like. I hope you enjoy them!
Discover additional UVK recipes, like Grilled Tofu Skewers, Vegan Tofu Burger with Indian Spices and Green Peas, Grilled Pomegranate Molasses Tempeh Kebabs, Marinated Grilled or Baked Tofu, Vegan Mushroom Sauerkraut Pierogi, Chickpea Millet Salad with Fresh Herbs and Pumpkin Seeds or Vegan Italian Herb Risotto.
Grilled Lemon Garlic Herb Tofu Skewers
14 ounce package of extra firm tofu, pressed
4 garlic cloves
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup flat leaf parsley
⅓ cup fresh chives
⅓ cup fresh dill weed
½-1 jalapeño (if sensitive to heat, remove the seeds)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp fresh lemon zest
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp salt
1. First, you’ll make the lemon, herb and garlic tofu marinade. Add everything EXCEPT the tofu to a blender or small food processor. Blend until smooth.
2. Slice the pressed tofu into cubes that are large enough to skewer. Spread a few tablespoons of the garlic tofu marinade across the bottom of a container with a lid.
3. Layer the tofu cubes over the top of the garlic herb marinade. Pour the remainder of the marinade over the top of the cubes and spread it evenly (see photo above).
4. Seal the lid on the container and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight, if time allows.
5. Once the tofu is done marinating, skewer the tofu. Line a grill with non-stick aluminum foil, and heat it to ~400º F.
6. Place the skewers on top of the aluminum foil, and grill for 2-3 minutes on each side. Keep a close eye on them throughout the process to make sure they do not burn.
7. Remove from the grill, and serve the grilled lemon garlic and herb tofu skewers with a side of Spinach Cannellini Bean Orzo or your favorite sides.