When I think of tofu marinades, I usually think of soy sauce or BBQ. And yet, this lemon and herb tofu marinade works so nicely!
These grilled tofu skewers are not hard to make, but do need time to marinade (~3 hours). If you are able to marinade a bit longer, it’s even better.
Pressed tofu is like a sponge. It wants to soak up flavor. In addition, it will make grilling or broiling a snap. The tofu tends to stay together a little better. If you line the grill with non-stick aluminum foil, it’s even easier to grill.
Finally, these lemon herb crusted tofu skewers taste delicious served over Spinach Cannellini Bean Orzo. I hope you enjoy them!
Grilled Lemon Garlic Herb Tofu Skewers
14 ounce package of extra firm tofu, pressed
4 garlic cloves
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup flat leaf parsley
⅓ cup fresh chives
⅓ cup fresh dill weed
½-1 jalapeño (if sensitive to heat, remove the seeds)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp fresh lemon zest
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp salt
1. Add everything EXCEPT the tofu to a blender or small food processor. Blend until smooth.
2. Slice the pressed tofu into cubes that are large enough to skewer. Spread a few tablespoons of the marinade across the bottom of a sealable container.
3. Layer the tofu cubes over the top of the marinade. Pour the remainder of the marinade over the top of the cubes and spread it evenly (see photo above).
4. Seal the lid on the container and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight, if time allows.
5. Once the tofu is done marinading, skewer the tofu. Line a grill with non-stick aluminum foil, and heat it to ~400º F.
6. Place the skewers on top of the aluminum foil, and grill for 2-3 minutes on each side. Keep a close eye on it to make sure they do not burn.
7. Remove from the grill, and serve with a side of Spinach Cannellini Bean Orzo.