The first time I had orzo, I thought it was rice. Little did I know, it was pasta masquerading as rice. Since discovering it’s true nature, I am constantly thinking of ways to incorporate it into my meal rotation. So good, so pasta!
This easy, frugal vegan orzo cannellini beans recipe cooks up fast, and is packed with savory flavors. It works well as a side or as a main entree. And it tastes great whether you top it with vegan cheese or not!
Spinach Cannellini Bean Orzo
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp vegan butter
1 cup dried orzo pasta
2 cups broth (fake chicken or vegetable)
1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 scallion, chopped
3 cups fresh spinach, packed
15.5 ounce can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and black pepper
Vegan cheese, to top – optional (vegan feta or vegan parmesan work well)
1. In a large skillet, add vegan butter, onion, garlic, salt and black pepper. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion are soft and a little golden.
2. Add dried orzo and sauté for 3 more minutes, constantly stirring the orzo around in the skillet.
3. Add broth and reduce to medium-low heat. Simmer without a lid for 10 minutes, or until the orzo are cooked through. Stir every now and then to keep it from sticking.
4. Stir in lemon juice, scallion, spinach, and the cannellini beans. If it’s sticking a little to the bottom of the skillet, stir in 1-2 tablespoons of water.
5. Constantly stir over low heat until the spinach wilts and the cannellini beans cook through (about 2 minutes). Top with vegan cheese, if using, and serve.