The first time I had orzo, I thought it was rice. Little did I know, it was pasta masquerading as rice. Since discovering it’s true nature, I am constantly thinking of ways to incorporate it into my meal rotation. And that is how I ended up making this one pan easy vegan spinach cannellini bean orzo recipe!
This frugal, easy vegan orzo dish cooks up quick, and is packed with savory flavors. Plus, you can’t beat orzo pasta with cannellini beans and spinach! It simple, tasty and works well as a side dish or as main entree. And it tastes great with or without vegan cheese on top.
Into orzo pasta? Check out more UVK vegan orzo recipes! Or if you love cannellini beans, you won’t want to miss Gnocchi with Cannellini Beans, Spinach and Tomatoes or Cannellini Bean Salad with Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette.
Spinach Cannellini Bean Orzo
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp vegan butter
1 cup dried orzo pasta
2 cups broth (fake chicken or vegetable)
1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 scallion, chopped
3 cups fresh spinach, packed
15.5 ounce can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and black pepper
Vegan cheese, to top – optional (vegan feta or vegan parmesan work well)
1. In a large skillet, add vegan butter, onion, garlic, salt and black pepper. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion are soft and a little golden.
2. Add dried orzo and sauté for 3 more minutes, constantly stirring the orzo around in the skillet.
3. Add broth and reduce to medium-low heat. Simmer without a lid for 10 minutes, or until the orzo are cooked through. Stir every now and then to keep it from sticking.
4. Stir in lemon juice, scallion, spinach, and the cannellini beans. If it’s sticking a little to the bottom of the skillet, stir in 1-2 tablespoons of water.
5. Constantly stir over low heat until the spinach wilts and the cannellini beans cook through (about 2 minutes). Top with vegan cheese, if using, and serve.