When I am tight on time, this is one of my favorite meals. It is quick, easy, and hearty. And it has…drum roll…7 ingredients, including the salt! Sometimes, simple is best, and leave it to Italian food to perfectly showcase this maxim.
Because this recipe has so few ingredients, it’s important to follow the directions closely and season with salt. I find if this dish tastes less than “Yes!”, it usually just needs salt.
Now, if you want to make it more complicated, that’s entirely up to you. You can make your own gnocchi , but you can also use gluten free gnocchi or store bought gnocchi. Just double-check the label, because not all gnocchi are vegan.
Gnocchi with Cannellini Beans, Tomatoes and Spinach
2 Tbsp olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
16 ounce package of gnocchi (see note above)
15 ounce can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
4-5 cups of fresh spinach
1. Fill a large pot with water, and bring to a boil.
2. While you’re waiting for the water to boil, work on the sauce. In a large skillet, add olive oil and garlic over low heat. The oil should sizzle around the edges of the garlic, but the garlic should not brown or burn. For ~2 minutes, stir it around from time to time, and again, keep it from browning or burning. This process will infuse the oil with the garlic’s flavor.
3. Next, stir in the tomatoes and the cannellini beans, and heat over medium-low for 5 minutes.
4. When the water is at a rapid boil, boil the gnocchi. When the gnocchi floats to the top, it’s done. It usually takes between 2-4 minutes. Drain the gnocchi.
5. Stir the gnocchi and spinach into the cannellini beans and tomatoes. Taste, and adjust seasonings. It will likely need salt. Serve.