Inspired by Italian flavors, this is an easy vegan recipe for kale and cannellini bean soup with garlic, dry white wine, carrots, tomatoes, and more. The spices and dried herbs really make this brothy soup! It’s warming and comforting. And best of all, it takes about 30 minutes to prepare.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
- ・Must one use lacinato kale? Lacinato kale has a certain Tuscan vibe (in the spirit of all things Italian), but you can jazz it up. Using a different kale won’t change the flavor.
- ・The nutritional yeast is akin to adding parmesan. If you skip it, it’ll taste like it’s missing something. You want that extra dose of umami 😀
Thank you for checking out this tasty vegan kale cannellini bean soup recipe 💚 And don’t miss out! There are so many more delicious UVK recipes, like Cannellini Bean Salad with Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette, Gnocchi with Cannellini Beans, Spinach and Tomatoes, Spinach Cannellini Bean Orzo, and Herbed Black-Eyed Pea and Cannellini Bean Salad.
Let’s make some soup!
Kale and Cannellini Bean Soup
1½ cup chopped onion
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ cup chopped carrots
1½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp fennel powder
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
½ tsp ground mustard
½ tsp garlic powder
Black pepper, to taste
⅓ cup dry white wine
14.5 ounce can of no salt petite diced tomatoes
4 cups fake chicken broth (I used 2 cubes of Edward & Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon Cubes + 4 cups of water)
2 15.5 ounce cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (OR ~3 cups fully cooked cannellini beans)
2 bay leaves
3 cups chopped lacinato kale (stems removed)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt, to taste
1. First, you’ll sauté the aromatics for the kale and cannellini bean soup. In a large pot, add the onions, olive oil, and a dash of salt. Sauté over medium-high heat for ~7 minutes or until golden and soft.
2. Next, stir in the garlic, carrots, oregano, fennel powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, ground mustard, garlic powder and black pepper. Stir around for a minute or two over medium heat.
3. Add the dry white wine, and scrape the bits off the bottom of the pot. Allow the liquid to reduce by 50%.
4. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, cannellini beans and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, and then, reduce the heat to low. Cover with a lid, and continue simmering over low heat for 10 minutes.
5. Finally, add the kale and nutritional yeast. Cover with a lid, and simmer over low for another 10 minutes. Taste the kale and cannellini bean soup, and adjust seasonings, if needed (salt? more red pepper flakes?). Serve.