This is a delicious roasted chickpea kale salad recipe with a homemade vegan ranch dressing. The chickpeas contribute a smoky bacon flavor. The dressing is creamy, acidic, savory and salty. And the massaged lacinato kale, crunchy veggies and sunflower seeds bring freshness and texture. Overall, it’s a satisfying, totally vegan, ranchy bacony salad that hits the spot.
This recipe makes 2 large salads or 4 side salads.
A few things…
- ・The recipe for the roasted chickpeas is easy, but the marinating takes time. You mix everything together, marinate overnight in the fridge, and then, air fry or roast them in the oven. Plan accordingly.
- ・If you don’t have a high speed blender or the time to make homemade vegan ranch dressing for this chickpea kale salad, just use your favorite store bought one.
- ・As a variation, change up the veggies. Add some avocado? Or spinach or romaine lettuce, instead of red leaf lettuce? Do what you like or what sounds good!
Check out additional UVK recipes, like Buffalo Soy Curls Wrap or Salad, Lemon Tahini Kale Salad with Toasted Pita, Kale Farro Salad, Edamame Kale Slaw with Orange Sesame Dressing and more.
Thanks for being here 💚
Now, let’s go make a roasted chickpea kale salad!
Roasted Chickpea Kale Salad with Vegan Ranch Dressing
1 batch of smoky roasted chickpeas
1 batch of vegan ranch dressing (OR use your favorite store bought vegan ranch dressing)
3 cups chopped lacinato kale, stems removed
6 cups chopped red leaf lettuce
2 stalks celery, chopped
¾ cup chopped tomatoes
½ cup shredded carrots
1 cup chopped English cucumbers
¼ cup shredded red cabbage
⅓ cup raw sunflower seeds
1. Follow the directions for this recipe. Keep in mind, the chickpeas need to marinate overnight. Once you’re finished roasting the chickpeas, proceed to the next step.
2. Next, let’s make the vegan ranch dressing for the roasted chickpea kale salad. Follow this recipe, and then, proceed to the next step.
3. Next, it’s time to massage the kale. Add the kale to a large mixing bowl. Squeeze it over and over until it turns a deeper shade of green and softens.
4. Add the red leaf lettuce and ⅔’s of the ranch dressing (or enough to coat the leaves) to the large mixing bowl. Toss everything together.
5. Add the roasted chickpeas, celery, tomatoes, carrots, English cucumbers, red cabbage and sunflower seeds. Stir to combine. Top with any remaining dressing (or as much as you like). Serve the roasted chickpea kale salad immediately.