For awhile, I debated titling this vegan kale tofu salad recipe either “Crunchy Tofu Salad” or “Super Seedy Tofu Kale Salad”. A generous helping of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds create a delightful texture that’s crunchy and satisfying. And they pair so nicely with the hot chili oil tamari dressing, the marinated baked tofu, and the rest of the elements.
In short, this a vegan kale tofu salad recipe that has a pleasing crunchy texture, is completely nut free, and is very flavorful! It makes between 2-4 servings, depending on whether you’re enjoying it as a main entree or a side dish.
A few things…
- ・ Marinated Grilled or Baked Tofu works best for this salad. It will take, at least, 1 hour to marinate and less than 10 minutes to grill or bake. Keep this in mind.
- ・No time to marinate and grill/bake tofu? Use a prepackaged Asian-flavored baked tofu, like teriyaki or sriracha. Taste the tofu salad at the end, and be prepared to adjust the flavors, if necessary.
- ・ Use any kale variety you want. Just remove the stems, tear it into bite size pieces, and massage the living daylights out of it.
- ・No hot chili oil? No worries. Add some sriracha sauce (to taste) + a neutral oil (like canola). It won’t be exactly the same, but it will add some heat.
- ・ If you aren’t planning to serve this right away, hold off on adding the seeds. Stir them in just before serving to ensure maximum crunchiness.
Enjoy this simple kale salad for lunch, dinner, or as a side dish!
Kale and Tofu Salad with Spicy Tamari Dressing
1 batch cubed Marinated Grilled or Baked Tofu (see note above)
4 cups bite size pieces of red kale with the stems removed (see note above)
3 Tbsp reduced sodium gluten free tamari (OR reduced sodium soy sauce)
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp agave
2 tsp hot chili oil
1-2 scallions, thinly sliced
¼ tsp garlic powder
1 cup julienned carrots
⅓ cup raw pumpkin seeds
⅓ cup raw sunflower seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
1. Follow the recipe for Marinated Grilled or Baked Tofu. Slice the tofu into cubes. When it is done marinating, grilling/baking and completely cool, go on to the next step.
2. Add the red kale to a large mixing bowl. Squeeze it over and over again until it is a deeper shade of green and very soft. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add the tamari, rice vinegar, agave, hot chili oil, scallions and garlic powder. Whisk together.
4. Add the massaged kale to the salad dressing. Toss until the kale is well coated.
5. Add the cold, marinated grilled or baked tofu cubes and the remaining ingredients. Gingerly mix together. Taste the kale tofu salad and adjust seasonings, if needed (more tamari? more hot chili oil? more agave?). Serve immediately.