Inspired by Levantine fattoush, this vegan lemon tahini kale salad recipe has crispy, toasted pita bread, a homemade dressing, crunchy cucumbers, radishes and red bell pepper and more. It’s light and refreshing, but hearty at the same time.
This kale and pita bread salad makes ~4-6 dinner salads or 2 large dinner salads. It is best eaten right away, while the pitas are still warm and crisp, and create a contrast to the cool, crunchy vegetables.
I often find myself with a few stray pitas. This lemon tahini kale salad recipe makes sure those pitas don’t go to waste. And the best part, it doesn’t matter if they’re stale!
Discover more UVK recipes, like Vegan Kale Caesar Salad, Za’atar Chickpea Pita, Vegan Pita Sandwich with Grilled Eggplant and Pomegranate Molasses Tempeh and more.
Thanks for stopping by! 💚
Lemon Tahini Kale Salad with Toasted Pita
1 batch lemon tahini dressing
6 cups lacinato kale torn into bite-size pieces (stems removed)
Lemon juice, a splash
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 cups chopped English cucumber
¾ cup chopped radishes
1 scallion, chopped
¼ cup mint leaves
½ cup flat leaf parsley leaves
½ cup shelled pistachios
3 pitas, cut with scissors or torn into bite-size pieces
Olive oil, to drizzle
Sumac, to top – optional
1. First, you’ll make the lemon tahini dressing for the kale salad. Follow the directions for making lemon tahini dressing. Set aside.
2. Next, you’ll add the lacinato kale to a large mixing bowl. Add a splash of lemon juice, and massage the kale with your hands. Keep massaging the kale until the color is soft and a deeper green. Set aside.
3. Place the rack in the middle of the oven, and then, set the oven to BROIL. Line a cookie sheet or sheet pan with parchment or aluminum foil. Dump the pita pieces on top of the lined cookie sheet. Drizzle with some olive oil, and then, move the pita around in it so it is coated. Then, spread the pita pieces across the sheet (or pan) in an even layer.
4. Place the pita in the oven, and broil for 2-3 minutes or until they are toasted enough for the salad. Watch carefully to make sure they do not burn. Remove from the oven.
5. Assemble the kale and pita bread salad, either in one big mixing bowl or individual plates. Add the massaged kale, toasted pita, red bell pepper, cucumber, radishes, scallion, mint leaves, parsley leaves and pistachios.
6. Drizzle lemon tahini dressing on top of the kale salad, and then, sprinkle with sumac, if using. Serve immediately.