This is an easy tempeh pita recipe. You’ll need to get the tempeh marinade prepared the night before, and allow the tempeh time to marinate. Other than that, it is very simple to make and tasty!
This Middle Eastern inspired vegan eggplant pita recipe makes 4 pitas. To make this gluten free, use gluten free pitas or forget the pita and make this a salad.
If you have a large grill, it works really well to grill the pomegranate molasses tempeh kebabs at the same time that you grill the eggplant. If you have to do it in shifts, grill the eggplant first. Tempeh hot off the grill is the way to be, even if it means the eggplant have to be lukewarm.
I like eating pitas with a fork and knife, so I don’t stuff them. You can always make a stuffed pita pocket instead.
Vegan Pita with Grilled Eggplant and Pomegranate Molasses Tempeh
1 batch lemon tahini sauce
1 small eggplant, cubed
½ tsp garlic powder
Olive oil, to drizzle
Tomato slices (I sliced 2 medium tomatoes for 4 pitas)
Mint leaves, to top
Pomegranate seeds, to top
Sumac, to top – optional
1. Follow steps 1-5 for Grilled Pomegranate Molasses Tempeh Kebabs. The tempeh needs to marinate a minimum of 4 hours, but marinating overnight tastes best.
2. When the tempeh is done marinating, line a large grill-proof pan with non-stick aluminum foil. You want a pan that’s large enough to accommodate the tempeh and the eggplant. Skewer the tempeh, and place it on one side of the pan. Drizzle with a little olive oil. (See note above if using a small grill)
3. In a mixing bowl, add the eggplant. Drizzle it with olive oil, and then, add the garlic powder. Season with salt and black pepper. Toss the eggplant around until it’s well coated.
4. Spread the eggplant in a single layer on the non-stick aluminum foil lined pan. Heat up the grill to 400º F.
5. While you’re waiting for the grill to heat up, follow the directions for lemon tahini sauce, and then, set the sauce aside.
6. When the grill reaches 400º F, add the grill-proof pan with the tempeh kebabs and eggplant and close the lid. Grill for ~4 minutes, and then, flip the kebabs and eggplant. Grill for another 4 minutes or until the kebabs and eggplant are charred to your preference. Remove from the grill.
7. Place a pita on a plate. Add some tomato slices, grilled eggplant and tempeh.
8. Drizzle the lemon tahini sauce over the tomatoes, eggplant and tempeh. Then, top with mint leaves, pomegranate seeds and sumac, if using. Serve immediately.