When I was a kid, my mom would let me pick a pasta salad from the deli counter at our local grocer every week. I almost always picked the same broccoli pasta salad with sliced black olives and Italian dressing. While I was putting together this vegan Italian broccoli pasta salad recipe, I couldn’t help but think of “my salad”.
Fresh basil, oregano, thyme, and parsley bring a freshness to this sun-dried tomato-balsamic vinegar Italian dressing. It perfectly complements this Italian pasta salad with broccoli, cherry tomatoes, chickpeas, and sliced olives. Whether you top it with vegan parmesan or not, this salad has delicious, herbaceous flavor!
This vegan pasta salad with Italian dressing keeps well in the fridge. You can make it in advance for when it is needed, and it will still be good. In fact, I have taken it on road trips and camping. Left in a cooler with ice packs, it has been super tasty, even a day or two later. If it will need anything, maybe a touch more balsamic vinegar, but even then, it’s a maybe.
Serve this recipe for vegan broccoli pasta salad as a side at a bbq cookout, for lunch, or as a tasty summer meal! It also pairs well with Italian White Bean Burgers, or as a side to Vegan Minestrone Soup.
Thanks so much for stopping by, and please enjoy 💚
Broccoli Pasta Salad with Italian Dressing
Vegan Italian Dressing:
2 garlic cloves, sliced in half
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ cup olive oil
6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
2 Tbsp fresh oregano leaves
¼ cup flat leaf parsley
½ cup fresh basil
2 sprigs of fresh thyme, just the leaves (toss out the stems)
½ tsp dijon mustard
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Broccoli Pasta Salad:
3 cups fresh broccoli florets
16 ounce package of farfalle pasta
5 ounce can of sliced black olives, drained
1 ½ cups halved cherry tomatoes
15 ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Vegan parmesan, to top – optional
1. First, you’ll blanch the broccoli for the pasta salad. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Put the broccoli in a strainer. When the water is at a rolling boil, submerge the broccoli florets for 15 seconds (see photo above), then remove the strainer from the pot and rinse the broccoli off with very cold water. Reserve the pot of boiling water. Add the broccoli to a large mixing bowl.
2. Use the same pot of boiling water that you used for the broccoli to prepare the pasta. Follow the directions on the pasta package, drain, rinse with cold water, and allow it to cool.
3. Next, make the Italian dressing for the pasta salad. In a skillet, add garlic, olive oil, and crushed red pepper flakes over high heat. As soon as it starts to sizzle, turn it down to low and cook for 1-2 minutes to infuse the oil with the garlic and red pepper flakes. Don’t let the garlic brown or burn.
4. Add the contents of the skillet, and everything listed under “Italian Dressing” to a food processor or blender. Blend until very smooth. Taste, and adjust seasonings (Salt? More balsamic? etc).
5. Add everything EXCEPT the pasta to the large mixing bowl with the broccoli. Coat the vegetables with the dressing.
6. Once it is well-combined, stir in the pasta. Taste the vegan Italian broccoli pasta salad, and adjust flavor, if needed (more salt? More balsamic?). Serve topped with vegan parmesan.