This is a delicious vegan sun-dried tomato chickpea burger recipe with wheat berries and horseradish. Once you put horseradish in a homemade vegan chickpea burger recipe, you’ll never want to leave it out again. Because…wow, it works so well. Topped with arugula, vegan mayo, a healthy slice of heirloom tomato and some dill pickles, this vegan garbanzo bean burger is a showstopper that’s super garlicky and flavorful.
I can’t wait for you to try this tasty chickpea sun-dried tomato burger! Check out more UVK vegan summer recipes.
Sun-Dried Tomato Chickpea Burgers
⅓ cup wheat berries
1 cup water
15.5 ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (OR 1½ cups cooked chickpeas)
1 tsp fresh lemon zest
1 cup chopped onion (OR 1 small onion, chopped)
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil (OR 2 Tbsp oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes)
¼ cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, oil drained
⅓ cup flat leaf parsley (stems and leaves)
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2-2 ½ tsp prepared horseradish
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp flax seed meal
- 1. First, make the wheat berries for the chickpea burger recipe. Add the wheat berries and water to a small pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then, turn down to low. Cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes or until the wheat berries are soft enough to enjoy eating.
- 2. Drain the wheat berries in a colander, and rinse with cold water. Add ¼ cup of the wheat berries to a large mixing bowl, and add the rest of them to a food processor.
3. Add ½ cup of the chickpeas to the mixing bowl with the wheat berries. Add the remaining chickpeas to the food processor.
4. Then, smash up the chickpeas in the mixing bowl with a spoon or with your hands. Make sure to leave a few bigger pieces, so the chickpea burger has texture. Add the lemon zest, and then, set aside.
5. In a small skillet, add onions, garlic and olive oil (or oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes). Sauté over medium-high heat for ~5 minutes or until soft and golden.
6. Spoon the onions and garlic into the food processor. Then, add the sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, nutritional yeast, horseradish, garlic powder, salt and black pepper (to taste).
7. Pulse until ~85% of the sun-dried tomato chickpea burger mixture is paste. There should still be some recognizable bits of sun-dried tomatoes, wheat berries, etc. Spoon into the large mixing bowl.
8. Add the panko bread crumbs and the flax seed meal to the large mixing bowl. Then, mix everything together until well combined. Taste the vegan chickpea burger mix, and make any adjustments to the flavor, if needed (more salt? horseradish? garlic powder?).
9. Form a chickpea burger patty with your hands. If the burger feels too dry, add a little olive oil and mix it in. If the burger feels too wet, add another Tbsp of flax seed meal and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before trying to shape burgers again. This recipe makes 4 chickpea burgers.
10. There are three ways to cook these vegan chickpea burgers. Follow the cooking directions that work best for you.
TO PAN FRY: Add 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil to a skillet, add burgers over medium-low heat. When the burgers start sizzling turn down to low. Flip after ~2-3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and at your level of preferred crispiness.
TO BAKE: Preheat oven to 450º F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or non-stick aluminum foil. Drizzle some olive oil over the parchment or foil. Add the burgers on top of the olive oil, and move them around a bit, so they are well coated. When the oven is ready, add the burgers, and immediately turn down the heat to 400º F. Bake for 3-5 minutes. Flip, and bake for another 3-5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
TO GRILL: Line a grill-proof pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Place the burgers on the pan, and then, brush the top of the burgers with olive oil. Heat the grill up to 400º F. Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they are your preferred level of charred. Remove from grill.
11. Serve these vegan garbanzo bean burgers on buns with your favorite toppings.