This is a Mediterranean-inspired vegan chickpea eggplant salad recipe with sun-dried tomatoes, pistachios and a tasty oregano dressing. It tastes great over some garlic toast, or on a bed of spinach greens. Or all by itself! It’s hearty enough to be a lunch or a meal, but could also work well as a side dish. And it holds up well, so make it in advance, or pack it for a picnic, road trip or work lunch.
- ・Can’t find julienned sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil? Cut up whole ones using scissors. It’s easier than using a knife.
- ・You can either roast or grill the eggplant for this Mediterranean chickpea eggplant salad recipe. Make sure the temperature is at 400º F, and keep an eye on it to prevent burning.
This chickpea salad with grilled eggplant is one of my absolute favorites and I hope it becomes a favorite of yours as well 💚
Discover more UVK recipes like Lemony Greek Wheat Berry Salad, Sun-Dried Tomato Chickpea Burgers, Vegan Baked Pasta with Tofu Ricotta and Eggplant, Carrot and Beet Salad with Fresh Dill and Roasted Pistachios or Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto.
Now, let’s get grillin’!
Mediterranean Eggplant Chickpea Salad
4 cups bite-size pieces of chopped eggplant
½ cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
¼ cup (+ more for drizzling) oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes
1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano (OR 1 tsp dried oregano)
2 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
¼ tsp dijon mustard
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp salt
15.5 ounce can of (OR 1¾ cups) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
¼ cup roasted and shelled pistachios
1. First, you’ll grill the eggplant for the salad. Heat the grill or oven to 400º F. Line a grill-proof sheet pan with non-stick aluminum foil.
2. Spread the eggplant in a single layer over the non-stick aluminum foil. Drizzle with some of the oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes. Move the eggplant around in the oil until it’s well-coated. Season with salt and black pepper.
3. Grill/roast at 400º F for ~5 minutes. Then, flip the eggplant, and return to the grill or oven for another 3-5 minutes or until charred to your preference. Remove and allow to cool.
4. Next, you’ll make the dressing for the chickpea eggplant salad. In a large mixing bowl, add ¼ cup of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, parsley, red wine vinegar, dijon, garlic powder, and salt. Whisk together.
5. When the grilled (or roasted) eggplant has cooled, add it, the sun-dried tomatoes, chickpeas, and pistachios to the mixing bowl. Stir together.
6. Taste the vegan Mediterranean chickpea eggplant salad, and adjust seasonings (more salt? more oregano? more red wine vinegar?). Serve on garlic toast, on a bed of greens or on its own.