One afternoon, I was riding my bike outside Pescadero, California. I made a stupid mistake, and launched off my bike. The other riders stopped, and rushed over to make sure I was ok. I started seeing all white, and there was some whispering about whether I had suffered a concussion.
One of my friends leaned down and said, “What’s your favorite green?”
“Swiss chard,” I said.
And that just about sums it up… I love swiss chard, and everyone knows it 🙂
This vegan soup with Swiss chard highlights it in such a nice way–marrying it with potatoes, leeks, carrots, and celery. It’s a hearty vegan potato leek soup recipe that’s perfect for a cool rainy day, or after a day of hard work. Serve it with a crusty bread or some garlic toast.
I have to admit… we ate the entire pot in one sitting! No leftovers is definitely the sign of a good meal!
Potato Leek Soup with Swiss Chard
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cups leeks (white part only), chopped
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
4 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 cups broth (either use fake chicken broth or vegetable broth)
1 cup vegan milk
2-3 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 cups red chard, torn into bit-size pieces
¼ cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. In a large heavy pot or dutch oven, add onion, leeks, garlic, olive oil, salt, black pepper, thyme and the bay leaves, and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes.
2. Then, add potatoes, celery and carrots, and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until carrots start to get soft. Add the broth, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, pull out the bay leaves, and add the vegan milk.
4. You can either blend the soup in a blender or use an immersion blender. I like it slightly chunky, so I stop blending before it’s completely smooth.
5. Once it’s blended to your preference, stir in the chard, parsley, nutritional yeast, and apple cider vinegar. Taste, adjust seasonings (more salt? black pepper? more apple cider vinegar?), and serve.