Popular in Vietnam, notable in some Slavic fare, and beloved by German-speaking nations, kolhrabi is a delicious turnip-esque vegetable that tastes a bit like broccoli. Inspired by this tasty member of genus Brassica, I put together this vegan cream of kohlrabi soup recipe with potatoes, carrots, celery and plant based milk. Dried marjoram, garlic and lemon juice bring out the best in it!
Heads up… this is one thick soup. If you like yours thinner, add more vegan milk and adjust the seasonings. Most of all, enjoy 😀
This vegan kohlrabi soup recipe makes 4 servings.
Check out more UVK recipes, like Cream of Celery Soup, Vegan Green Bean Soup, Butternut Squash Spinach Soup, Vegan Green Bean Casserole or Roasted Sweet Potato Soup. And thanks for being here 💚
Vegan Cream of Kohlrabi Soup
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups diced onion
1 carrot, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 (OR ~2 cups) Russet potato, diced
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 tsp dried marjoram
2 bay leaves
4 cups peeled and cubed kohlrabi (stems and leaves removed)
1 bouillon cube (vegetable or fake chicken)
3 cup vegan milk (I used Good Karma’s Unsweetened Flaxmilk)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp garlic powder
1. First, you’ll sauté the aromatics for the kohlrabi soup. In a dutch oven or large soup pot, add olive oil, onions and a dash of salt. Sauté over med-high until onions are translucent (~5 minutes).
2. Next, add carrots, celery, potato, garlic cloves, marjoram and bay leaves to the soup pot. Stir around over medium heat for ~5 minutes.
3. Add the kohlrabi, vegan milk, and the bouillon cube (crush it up) to the soup pot. Cover with a lid, bring to a boil, and then, lower to a simmer for ~15 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through.
4. Fish out the bay leaves. Add the lemon juice and garlic powder.
5. Then, add the entire kohlrabi potato soup to a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. If you’re blender is small, do it in batches. You can also use an immersion blender right in the pot.
6. Taste, and adjust the seasonings (more salt? More lemon juice?). Serve.