Many vegan green bean casserole recipes use cashews or coconut milk. UVK brings you this vegan green bean casserole recipe made with white beans! It’s completely free of nuts and coconut milk.
While it might seem daunting to make vegan green bean casserole from scratch, it couldn’t be easier. The longest part of the prep process goes towards cleaning and chopping the 6 cups of fresh green beans. The rest of the assembly is a snap.
This recipe uses common vegan kitchen staple items, like vegan butter, onions, garlic, mushrooms, white beans, and soy sauce (or use a gluten free tamari). UVK isn’t sending you on a scavenger hunt for ingredients for this recipe. And the ingredients are budget friendly.
Enjoy this plant based green bean casserole for Thanksgiving, Christmas, the holidays, or any time you choose! I hope you enjoy it, and appreciate you stopping by 😊
Vegan Green Bean Casserole
3 Tbsp vegan butter
1½ cups chopped yellow onion
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
3 cups coarsely chopped mushrooms
15 ounce can of great northern beans, drained and rinsed (OR 1¼ cups cooked great northern beans)
⅓ cup reduced sodium soy sauce (OR gluten free tamari)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cornstarch
1½ cups water
6 cups fresh green beans with stems removed and chopped into bite-size pieces
2 cups gluten free French fried onions (I used Sprouts Organic Gluten Free French Fried Onions)
1. Preheat the oven to 375º F. Then, grease a 9″ X 13″ baking pan, and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, add the vegan butter and onions. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until soft. Then, add the mushrooms, and stir around for another 2 minutes or until they have sweat out some of their water and softened. Stir in the garlic, and sauté another minute.
3. Spoon ½ of the mushroom-onion mixture into a blender. Then, add the great northern white beans, soy sauce, onion powder, cornstarch and water. Place the lid on the blender, and blend until completely smooth. Taste, and adjust seasonings, if needed (more soy sauce? more onion powder?).
4. In a large mixing bowl, add the green beans, the sauce in the blender, and the remaining mushroom-onion mixture from the skillet. Stir together.
5. Spoon the contents of the large mixing bowl into the greased 9″ X 13″ baking pan. Spread it evenly across the bottom. Top it with ½ of the French fried onions.
6. Bake uncovered at 375ºF for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with the remaining French fried onions, and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, and serve.