Who doesn’t love a good vegan casserole dish? They are the very definition of “ugly food” (generally visually unattractive, but oh so comforting), and usually pretty easy to make. And if the flavor is done well, they’re a fast, family favorite.
This Southwestern-inspired vegan chicken casserole recipe delivers on all these fronts. The soy curls soak up the flavor of the savory gravy, and have such a pleasing texture. Joined by frozen sweet corn, Southern-style hash browns and mild green chiles, this is one hearty, tasty vegan casserole!
A few things…
- ・While it doesn’t take much to assemble this casserole, it does take an hour to bake.
- ・Soy curls work best for this casserole, because they have one ingredient, soy beans. The gravy was made with this in mind, and brings a good amount of flavor. Other vegan alternatives may make the dish seem overly salty.
- ・The vegan cheese is optional. It adds something to the flavor, but it isn’t absolutely essential.
I hope you enjoy this dish, as much as we have 💚 If you do, you may also enjoy Vegan Funeral Potatoes or cheesy Vegan Tater Tot Casserole with Broccoli and Mushrooms.
Southwestern Soy Curls, Sweet Corn and Hash Brown Casserole
3 cups soy curls
3 Tbsp vegan butter
2 cups diced sweet onion
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
15.5 ounce can of great northern beans (OR ~1¼ cups), drained and rinsed
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
3 cups fake chicken broth (I used 3 cups water + 1½ cubes of Edward & Sons No Chick’n Bouillon)
½ tsp cornstarch
2 cups frozen sweet corn
2 cups frozen Southern-style hash browns
4 ounce can of mild green chiles, drained
1 Roma tomato, seeds removed and diced
1½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
Shredded vegan cheese, to top – optional (I used ⅓ cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzarella Shreds)
Chopped cilantro, to top
1. In a large mixing bowl, add 3 cups dehydrated soy curls. Fill the bowl with water until the soy curls are submerged. Set aside for 10 minutes. Then, drain the water off, and squeeze the curls to get out any excess water. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Grease a 9″ X 13″ baking pan. Set aside.
3. In a medium skillet, add the vegan butter, onions, and a dash of salt. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft. Then, add the garlic, and stir around everything for another minute.
4. To a blender, add ½ the onion-garlic mixture. Then, add the great northern beans, onion powder, garlic powder, fake chicken broth and cornstarch. Blend until completely smooth.
5. In the large mixing bowl with the soy curls, add the other ½ of the onion-garlic mixture, frozen sweet corn, frozen Southern-style hash browns, green chiles, diced tomato, ground cumin and ground coriander.
6. Dump the contents of the blender into the large mixing bowl. Mix everything together.
7. Spread the contents of the mixing bowl evenly across the bottom of the greased 9″ X 13″ baking pan. Top with shredded vegan cheese, if using. Bake uncovered at 400ºF for 55-60 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven, and top with chopped cilantro. Serve.