This Mexican-inspired recipe for vegan soy curls chicken and rice soup is perfect for cold nights. It’s hearty, warming and comforting. Plus, as an added bonus, it is a great way to use up leftover cooked white or brown rice.
This recipe makes ~4-6 servings.
A few things…
- ・For this vegan chicken and rice soup recipe, you can either follow the directions below for cooking white long grain rice or use leftover cooked plain white or brown rice.
- ・Cooking the rice on the side and adding it to individual bowls preserves the rice’s texture. It also maintains the brothy nature of the soup.
- ・As an alternative, you can cook the rice directly in the soup. Simply skip steps 1 & 2, and add the uncooked long grain white rice at step 4. If you do this, you will need to add 6 cups of broth, instead of 5 cups. The soup will be very thick and the rice will be a bit mushier. Nevertheless, if you like a very thick soup, this might be a good option for you.
- ・Make sure to pick a really good vegan fake chicken broth for this vegan soy curls chicken and rice soup. Some of my favorite bouillon’s include Edward & Sons Not-Chicken Bouillon Cubes or Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base. They’re easy to add to water, and create delicious totally vegan “chicken” broth.
- Please enjoy! And discover more UVK recipes, like Coconut Corn Soup with Soy Curls, Buffalo Soy Curls Wrap, Vegan Southwestern Casserole with Soy Curls, Sweet Corn and Hash Browns or Marinated Grilled or Baked Tofu.
Vegan Soy Curls Chicken and Rice Soup
2 cups water
1 cup long grain white rice
1 medium white onion, quartered
1½ cups fresh cilantro, packed
1 cup fresh parsley, packed
4 garlic cloves
1 jalapeño (Sensitive to heat? remove the seeds and inner membrane)
1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1½ cup dehydrated soy curls
1 large carrot, diced (OR ~1 cup diced carrots)
5 cups fake chicken broth (see notes above)
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp lime juice
Chopped tomato, avocado, and jalapeño, to garnish
Lime wedges, to serve
1. First, you’ll prepare the rice for the vegan soy curls chicken and rice soup. Add 2 cups of water to a small pot and then, cover with a lid. Bring to a boil. Add the white rice. Turn down to low, and cover with a lid. Simmer over low heat for 17-20 minutes.
2. Remove the rice from heat and let it sit for 5 minutes with the lid on. Open the lid, fluff with a fork and set aside.
3. In a blender or food processor, add the onion, cilantro, parsley, garlic cloves, jalapeño, oregano, cumin and onion powder. Blend until smooth.
4. To a large pot, add the contents of the blender, the broth, soy curls and carrots. Cover with a lid, and bring to a boil. Then, turn the heat down to low. Cover and simmer over low for 20 minutes.
5. Stir in the nutritional yeast and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed (salt? lime juice?).
6. To serve vegan soy curls chicken and rice soup, add some cooked rice to a bowl. Ladle the soup from the pot over it. Garnish with tomatoes, avocados, and jalapeño. Serve with lime wedges on the side.