This vegan skillet recipe with soy curls is inspired by Mexican street corn. While there are many preparations of street corn, many Americans think of it as grilled corn slathered in a delicious, creamy sauce.
With sweet corn, red potatoes, and soy curls, this is one hearty vegan skillet meal. Topping this skillet with chipotle mayo, brings the flavors all together. It’s creamy, smoky and spicy.
This vegan street corn recipe works best in a large, non-stick skillet.
Vegan Street Corn Skillet with Soy Curls
1 batch Vegan Chipotle Mayo
2 cups dehydrated soy curls
2 tsp olive oil
2 cups red potatoes chopped into bite-size pieces
1 cup chopped red onion
½ cup chopped green pepper
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp chipotle powder
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 cup frozen sweet corn
1 Tbsp lime juice
¼ tsp salt
Cilantro leaves, to top
Crumbled vegan feta, to top – optional (I used Violife Just Like Feta)
1. Make the vegan chipotle mayo by following this recipe. Then, set aside.
2. Add the soy curls to a large mixing bowl. Cover them with water, and let them sit for 10 minutes. Then, drain off the water, and then, squeeze them a bit to get any excess water out. Set aside.
3. In a large, non-stick skillet, add 1 tsp olive oil and the red potatoes. Over medium-low heat, fry up the potatoes for ~15 minutes or until they are completely cooked through and crisped up to the level you prefer. Then, line a plate with a paper towel, and spoon the potatoes onto it. Set aside.
4. In the same skillet, add 1 tsp olive oil, the red onions, green pepper and garlic. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the onions and green pepper are soft.
5. Add the soy curls, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, ground cumin, onion powder, and nutritional yeast. If it needs a little more oil, add a little more. Stir around over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until the soy curls have browned a bit.
6. Add the frozen sweet corn, lime juice, and salt. Stir around over medium heat for another 2 minutes or until the sweet corn is cooked through. Then, add in the red potatoes and stir to combine all the ingredients.
7. Remove the skillet from heat, and spread the vegan chipotle mayo over the top of the skillet.
8. Top with the cilantro leaves and vegan cheese (if using). Serve immediately.