While there are many preparations of Mexican street corn (or elote), many Americans think of it as grilled corn on the cob slathered in a delicious, creamy sauce. Inspired by Mexican street corn, this is an easy vegan skillet recipe with sweet corn, red potatoes, fried soy curls, and a delicious chipotle mayo sauce. It’s creamy, smoky and spicy!
Soy curls are one of my favorite ingredients. Maybe one of yours too? For the uninitiated, they’re shelf stable, pretty affordable, and take on flavor very well. They have only one ingredient, non-GMO soybeans. And they’re very easy to add to recipes. You just hydrate them in water for 10 minutes, squeeze them out, and they’re ready to go. Check out more UVK vegan soy curls recipes for ideas.
For this vegan soy curls and street corn skillet recipe, I find a large non-stick skillet works best. I’ve used a regular skillet in the past, and found the fried soy curls stuck to the bottom more than I’d like.
Please enjoy! 💚
Vegan Street Corn Skillet with Soy Curls
1 batch Vegan Chipotle Mayo
2 cups dehydrated soy curls
2 tsp olive oil
2 cups red potatoes chopped into bite-size pieces
1 cup chopped red onion
½ cup chopped green pepper
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp chipotle powder
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 cup frozen sweet corn
1 Tbsp lime juice
¼ tsp salt
Cilantro leaves, to top
Crumbled vegan feta, to top – optional (I used Violife Just Like Feta)
1. First, you’ll make the vegan chipotle mayo sauce for the street corn skillet by following this recipe. Then, set it aside.
2. Next, add the soy curls to a large mixing bowl. Cover them with water, and let them sit for 10 minutes. Drain and squeeze them to remove any excess water. Set aside.
3. In a large, non-stick skillet, add 1 tsp olive oil and the potatoes. Over medium-low heat, fry up the potatoes for ~15 minutes or until they are cooked through and crisped. Then, line a plate with a paper towel, and spoon the potatoes onto it. Set aside.
4. In the same skillet, add 1 tsp olive oil, the onions, green pepper and garlic. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the onions and peppers are soft.
5. Add the soy curls, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, ground cumin, onion powder, and nutritional yeast to the skillet. Add a little more oil, if needed. Stir around over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until the soy curls have browned a bit.
6. Add the corn, lime juice, and salt to the skillet. Stir around over medium heat for another 2 minutes or until the corn is cooked through. Then, stir in the potatoes.
7. Remove the skillet from heat, and spread the vegan chipotle mayo over the top.
8. Top with the cilantro and vegan cheese (if using). Serve immediately.