This is an easy vegan roasted sweet potato soup recipe. You roast the sweet potatoes, sauté the aromatics, simmer for 15 minutes, and combine in a blender. That’s it.
Simple, spiced, creamy and delicious. It has it all! This soup makes 4 servings.
- ・Try to chop the sweet potatoes, so they’re roughly the same size. This will help them roast in a more uniform fashion.
- ・After blending, is the consistency too thick? Add a little more broth or water until it’s right for you. Adjust seasonings, if needed.
And how about a big thank you? Yeah, to you! Your support of this blog and kindness means so much. I really appreciate you 💚
Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
6 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes (OR ~3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped up)
2 tsp olive oil (+ more for drizzling)
2 cups chopped sweet onions (OR ~1 large sweet onion chopped)
4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
2½ cups broth (fake chicken or vegetable)
13.5 ounce can of coconut cream
½ tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400º F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add the sweet potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil, a dash of salt and some black pepper. Stir around until the sweet potatoes are coated in oil.
3. Spread across the lined sheet pan in an even layer. Bake at 400º F for 30-37 minutes or until soft and browned on the outside.
4. When the sweet potatoes have ~10 minutes left of roasting to do, add the onion, 2 tsp olive oil, and a dash of salt to a large heavy pot or dutch oven. Sauté over medium-high heat for ~7 minutes or until the onion is soft and golden.
5. Add the garlic, garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Stir around another minute.
6. Add the roasted sweet potatoes and broth to the pot. Scrape any bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil, and then, simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
7. Add the contents of the pot, the coconut cream and a ½ tsp salt to a blender. Blend until smooth. If thicker than your liking, add a little more broth or water until it’s right for you. Then, return it to the pot. Heat until nicely warmed.
7. Taste the vegan roasted sweet potato soup, and adjust seasonings, if needed (more salt? more garam masala?). Serve.