Okra, it’s delicious. Whether it’s deep fried, stewed, stir fried, pickled or added to a soup, it’s always a winner. Maybe you feel the same way? This easy vegan okra soup recipe is inspired by the Indian okra dish, bhindi masala. It preserves many of the same ingredients. And much like the classic dish, this soup is also warming and savory.
Having trouble finding fresh okra? Substitute some frozen okra. It still tastes great!
If you enjoy this recipe, don’t miss out on UVK vegan okra recipes, like Grilled Okra with Curry Spices or Slow Cooker Black-Eyed Peas, Okra and Tomatoes. Or discover more soups, like Roasted Red Pepper Soup or Roasted Sweet Potato Soup.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
2 Tbsp vegan butter
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 jalapeño, finely chopped
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp madras curry powder
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
8 ounce can of tomato sauce
2 cups broth (I used 2 cups of water + 1 Edward & Sons No Chick’n Bouillon Cube)
2 cups fresh okra chopped on a bias
1 cup Yukon gold potatoes diced into small cubes
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt, to taste
1. First, you’ll sauté the aromatics for the vegan okra soup. In a large heavy pot or dutch oven, add the vegan butter, onion, garlic, fresh ginger, jalapeño and a dash of salt. Sauté over medium-high heat for ~7 minutes or until the onions are soft and a little golden.
2. Add the garam masala, madras curry powder, turmeric, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir around for 30 seconds.
3. Add the crushed red pepper flakes, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Use your spoon to loosen any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pot.
4. Add the broth, okra, and potatoes to the soup pot. Cover with a lid, and bring to a boil. Then, lower to a simmer and keep covered for 20-25 minutes.
5. Remove the lid, and stir in the cilantro. Taste the vegan okra soup, and adjust seasonings, if needed (more salt?). Serve.